Holley 750 Question

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
OK, so I have a Holley 750 on my 383 daily driver...

It has Electric choke & Vacuum Secondaries.

It's been running just fine since I installed the Holley a little over a year ago..But for some reason it was running kinda funky the past couple of days (Engine stopping for no reason, seemingly as if Out-Of-Fuel *it was not*, so I Throw it in NEUTRAL while coasting, re-start the engine and go off on my merry way, till it did it again a few hours later.. )

Anyhow, I got it home, popped the air cleaner and noticed that the Vacumm secondaries (butterflies) do not come ON when revving the engine to/at WOT...

Ya guys think it may be the Vacuum diaphragm gone Kaput..?

Fuel filter obstruction..?

Or could it be a Distributor / Electrical issue..?

It has done this about 6 - 8 times in the past 3 days

What bugs me is that after it dies, it starts again after a few seconds (2 - 3 seconds) of re-start..

Thanx for your time..

---

.............The secondaries will never open when u rev it in neutral, if they do u have a problem......change the coil..............kim..........

.............The secondaries will never open when u rev it in neutral, if they do u have a problem......change the coil..............kim..........

Cool, Kim...

I have a new Blaster II Spare Coil...I'll try it tomorrow and see how it flies..

Thanx, Bud..

-

Well, I went over all my wire connections, cleaned out the inside of the MSD distributor and replaced the Blaster II coil with another similar one I had on the shelf.

So far, all is OK..

One thing fer sure..it seems to run smoother...

UPDATE:

Just got back from a 10 mile drive...It did it again, once, almost as I got home.

It ran great till then, then during a decelaration as I took my foot off the accelerator pedal (as I was approaching a red traffic light), it died...but it did it so smoothly that for a second or so I did not realize that it had died..

And, of course, it started again without any problem and ran great all the way home..

Weird.

--

UPDATE:

Looks like it was water contamination in the fuel.

I used a bottle of ISO-Heet in a tanfull, and the problem went away.

28202web.jpg

I added one more bottle of ISO-Heet at the next fillup..

Now, since then, I have gone through 3 more full tank fillups without using any more additive.

Still OK...

Matter of fact, it seems to run a little better (crispier throttle response) than it did before the issue cropped up.

Was suggested to me that the water contamination may have occured when I filled up at a Gas Station.

We had just had some massive rain downpours here in SoCal for about a week or more. Turns out that rainwater overflow may inflitrate inside the Gas Station underground tanks, and that if there is enough water present, it may defeat the water filter system inside the cisterns.

If water is present in the fuel, and you happen to be unlucky enough to fill up when the Gas Station's tanks are running low on product, you may suck up inadvertently some of the Water contamination into your car's fuel tank.

I believe that there is a strong possibility that this is what hapenned to my car.

---

-
Back