Holley Blue Fuel Pumps

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have trouble with these pumps besides me???
The longer it runs my fuel pressure keeps dropping off.

I never had good luck with electric pumps. I just bought a Clay Smith high volume mechanical pump. 1/2" in and out and 140 gph. Rule of thumb is 10 gallons per hour per 100 hp. I got some building to do!

yes use a relay and feed it right off your battery. take the bottom of the pump off and check and make sure the vanes in the empeller thingy are all loose. if not soak it in wd-40 until you can get them freed up. sand them smooth and put the thing backtogether. clean the screen and the pressure spring too.

I have a relay on it and it comes right off the battery. It is also grounded straight to the battery. To me the pump seems to run hot, maybe it is supposed to. But it's hot enough you don't want to keep your hand on it. I also upsized the wiring on the positive and ground.

Look into the regulator. I went through a few before i found one that wouldnt keep losing adjustment. The quickfuel regulator is what i ended up with. it actually looks like its from the same manufacturer, so i cant explain why one works and one wont.

Is it losing pressure while sitting or driving? It may noy have enough air moving across it to keep it cool, alsoi cant remember if its easier for a pump to push or pull fuel so you might look into that and see if its mounted in a correct location/orientation

Sounds like an amp draw issue if its running as hot as you say it is. Check to see if there is an obstruction someplace. If no obstruction then you might just have a bad/shorting pump motor. Good luck.

What are you running for a regulator Jeff? If it's the dead head type regulator that comes with them they'll make it run hot due to design. I haven't had good luck at all with those regulators on anything. Went through 3 before I found one that would regulate decent when I had a blue pump on my car. I now only run a return style regulator. Much easier on the pump and generally regulates better. At least that's been my experience with them.

I am also running a return style regulator fuel log style made by Moroso.I had the holley one on and I had no problems for many years.

...... Rule of thumb is 10 gallons per hour per 100 hp......

Eh....sorry, but this doesn't make sense. That would mean you could run a 1400hp engine with your little fuel pump.

To the OP, check the regulator...this is more than likely the problem. I have run a Holley Blue for 10 years, and unfortunately the regulator that comes with the Blue pump is not that good. The Blue pump is good to about 550hp (this is why I just switched to a Holley Black pump).

If the pump has never been apart the inlet screen is probably plugged up. It needs the fuel flow to cool it too. I run two blue pumps on my car, one for each carb and the Holley regulators. I always discard the inlet screen and install the Moroso high pressure relief spring.

They are rebuildable and the kits are cheap, I'd go that route first.

I also highly recommend the Mallory pumps.

In addition to being infinitely more reliable, they are also extremely quiet. You can scarcely hear them even when the car isn't running.

Here is what I've done so far.
Drained tank. Strained fuel. Clean no trash. Foam isn't blocking outlet. Used a paper paint strainer.
Blew lots of air thru fuel line. Clean, straight and no kinks. Almost all 1/2" aluminum tubing except where it comes out of the tank to the filter and from the regulator to both carb inlets..
New Wix fuel filter in the Fram housing.
New Blue Pump and Regulator. Cleaned undercoating off and removed the paint with an air grinder. I wanted to make sure the extra ground wire had a good ground.
Did away with relay on fuel pump and went back to directly wired.
Still wants to lose pressure.
Another new Holley regulator that I had.
Still losing pressure.
Out of curiousity I disassembled old pump. No trash on screen and vanes free. So I'm sure it's good.
I'll look into it some more tonight.

Holley blue pumps are very loud and don't seem to last, IMO there junk, why not run a factory style dodge intank pump (TBI pump) with a bypass style regulator? cheaper and quiter

can be had for about $30 brand new!

Electric fuel pumps like to push, not pull. If it's mounted above the fuel tank you need to move it below the tank otherwise the pump is going to overheat like your saying.

Here is what I've done so far.
Drained tank. Strained fuel. Clean no trash. Foam isn't blocking outlet. Used a paper paint strainer.
Blew lots of air thru fuel line. Clean, straight and no kinks. Almost all 1/2" aluminum tubing except where it comes out of the tank to the filter and from the regulator to both carb inlets..
New Wix fuel filter in the Fram housing.
New Blue Pump and Regulator. Cleaned undercoating off and removed the paint with an air grinder. I wanted to make sure the extra ground wire had a good ground.
Did away with relay on fuel pump and went back to directly wired.
Still wants to lose pressure.
Another new Holley regulator that I had.
Still losing pressure.
Out of curiousity I disassembled old pump. No trash on screen and vanes free. So I'm sure it's good.
I'll look into it some more tonight.

what micron rating is your fuel filter? i killed a holley blue pump with less than 30 passes on it. pump got so hot it locked up on me. i was running a Mallory comp 140 fuel filter before the pump that has a micron rating of 40. after doing some reading found out that with a vane pump like the Holley you are so posed to run a 100 micron filter before the pump and a 40 micron after. here is the new filter i bought for my car. also stepped up to the holly black pump. dont know if this is your problem but something to look into. Mopar65

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/filters.html

Swap that POS Blue pump for a Walbro GSL-392, Way Quite and will out perform what you have easily. The Walbro is good for about 600HP and you can barely hear it running.
$100.00 Problem solved.

Tank vent problem, or leak in pump feed line pulling in air into pump ?

I've had my blue pumps for well over a decade, only rebuilt them once. I don't run any filter before the pump just the Fram HP-40(?) after the pump.

-
Back