Holley carb help needed

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok I need some help getting this carb set up right.

I bought this carb off CL and picked it up for 115 dollars.Put it on adjusted it and it run good.But when I start it up to let the car warm up is idles at 15-1600 and airplanes up to about 2-2500 rpm after a few mins.What it causing it to do this.

The bad part not sure what carb it is.I can remember if its a 600 or 650 cfm.
Elec chock vaccum sec.

The is a small white sticker on the carb reads

Holley Remafacted
65-80457s
Date- 06/09/11

Sounds like yor choke fast idle screw needs turned back about a turn. It is located under the black choke housing on the right side of carb.

They are decent carbs, I am going to put one on my old truck with a ld4b intake.

Make sure your main idle is closed, throttle blades closed before start adjusting.

There is an adjustment on the choke housing, I think it is three screws and twist the electric choke housing for more or less choke.

Check Holleys web site for more tuning info.

73 D.K.,Not the best carb,for a .509 Purple shaft/4 spd combo. What did ,you have on it before?

Ive run the 600 double pumper version of that,not bad. The holley you picked up,going to be way lean around town .A stick,and a .509 usually like a 650 to 750 carb. More fuel will make it smoother ,and more driveable . What intake manifold?.

.509 and 4-speed, I would look for a small double pumper holley.
600 - 650
What is your intake vacuum at idle, I bet is around 10" with that cam.
Vacuum secondares will work but will need some tuning.

.509 and 4-speed, I would look for a small double pumper holley.
600 - 650
What is your intake vacuum at idle, I bet is around 10" with that cam.
Vacuum secondares will work but will need some tuning.

Dont recall the vaccum had the guage on it a few weeks ago but I guess I forgot.

I am planing on a larger carb but for now while I am getting the funds for it what can I do about the chock idle.

I know the fast idle screw need adjusted but how can I do that without taking half the carb apart.

If this helps
the car idles at 750 warm I can even idle it down to about 600 but then the alternator is not charging.

You can basicaly eliminate the choke all together by taking the 3 screws loose where the electric wires plug in and twist the black round choke housing until the choke blade is open.

Fix that first.Proper,consistent voltage affects everything.I am impressed the carb,deals with the cam,idle wise. X2 ,on the double pumper.

Fix that first.Proper,consistent voltage affects everything.I am impressed the carb,deals with the cam,idle wise. X2 ,on the double pumper.

I have it set a 750 rpm and it idle good and charges thats all good but I was just seeing how low I could get the idle for fun.

You can basicaly eliminate the choke all together by taking the 3 screws loose where the electric wires plug in and twist the black round choke housing until the choke blade is open.

Even with the black chock cap off you still can turn the fast idle screw.

Even with the black chock cap off you still can turn the fast idle screw.

NO dont take the cap off twist it.
It has bi-metallic strip which controls the choke pull off.

Also as A-bomber stated the wires must be hooked up to the choke.

I wouldn't idle that cam and engine down that low, especially with a 4 speed. Turn it up to 850-950.

That turning the black choke housing wont affect fast idle speed only how long it stays on, even if you removed the choke blade you will still have fast idle, you must turn it down, its a little hard to get to but not impossible.

I have some thoughts and opinions, so here's a few.....

1) It's been so f'in cold in the SE lately.....51* here today when the average is 72* :banghead:. If you can get by for a few weeks, you can probably back off the choke some and not worry about it for 8mos. or so.

2) That cam will never lend itself to a driver quality start up.

3) Depending on your advance curve, i'm not surprised that when it warms, becomes more efficient, the idle rises and brings in more advance which contributes to the higher idle.

When the idle goes up, are you able to kick it down to a reasonable level? I'm not trying to say that some tweaks wont make it better, just don't expect too much out of it.

Rick,nice to see you! I was thinking , classic 750 double pumper,4779 model.

-
Back