Holley/Edlebrock/something else

-

73DartSport340

Reaction score
Ok guys basicaly decided on a 650 for the carb size for the 340. What brand? Got a Eddie on it right now and its ok but has bee modified for a much larger cam and has no choke plate etc....it runs but a "regular" carb is more in order than one worked for a biggger cam. Car specs in sig...

The smaller Carter would do fine, A 650 Holley would do better cfm wise, or there Feul injection.

Although new to this site, IMO, go with a Holley, far more tunability, and stability, throttle response, might consider trying the 670 avenger, dual feed, I`m using one now on brand x car, great performance from them! Rick

Rick, alllthough new to the sight, jump right in. Allways good to hear from the "Been there done that" crowd.

unless your a carb guy( one that doesn't mind opening up a carb to mess with it) go with the eddy 600 performer or the 650 thunder avs. you can then from there tune up the metering rods and step up springs if need be( no fuel bowls to remove). eddy's don't make the power that holleys do, but they do offer better driveability. I run a holley but I have no problem tearing into my carb. I put eddys on almost all customers cars for the sole fact of driveability

here's my 2 cents using the formula for engine size and rpm usually it will come out to around the 600 to 650 cfm range however i like to use a 750 holley 100 cfm over to keep the cylinders charged keeping in mind this is for a vacummn secondary carb my personal theroy is the back two barrels won't open until the eng can use the additional fuel and this keeps you from over carburating i have even changed the vac spring to open the back barrels sooner you just have to trial and error it also i like extended shooters on the primary side #31 has been good to me here is something else to consider if the car leaves the line and then bogs you dont have enough carb if it bogs right off the start you have too much as for the jetting learn to read your plugs they will help to get the correct jetting hope this helps you out

Thanks guys, I am definately NOT a carb guy, I don't know the first thing about actually ripping into them. I just know on this one that i can turn the idle screw and it does absolutely nothing...does not raise or lower idle...but thats probably becuase the butterflies have been drilled for extra flow at idle from that big cam that used to be in it????no idea actually but its pretty much stuck at a "high" idle id say around 1,000-1,100 rpm and it actually runs fine, no bogs does not smoke or anything but is a bit rich. The carb among other things is just part of the list of little things i need to do....just got the package tray in took the back seats out and unfortunately no build sheet...thats missing.... checked seats and under the dash/behind the glove box and nothing...now I gotta get the vacuum advance hooked back up as its running with none...although it runs fine without it I did not even know it was not hooked up till I looked a few days ago :).

-
Back