Holley HP carb questions

-

Johnny from Chicago

Reaction score
My engine builder recommended a new HP 950 carb for my new roller 440. I've read on two different sites that these carbs don't flow what they're rated at. ( the 950 is supposed to be like an 830 and the 1000 an 870). I'm told that these carbs are tested at 2.06" instead of the industry standard of 1.5" and can be rated higher than actual. Anyone else heard about this? If not, what would be a comparable Demon carb? I haven't seen a Demon rated at 900+ except for the Race RS which is way too much money. Any help is appreciated. Engine should be done by Dec 10.

The way I understand it, there is dry flowing, and wet flowing. wet is more acccurate, and usually lower. BG, Demon, and Avenger Holleys are wet flowed, but std holleys (including the HPs) are dry flowed, and the numbers are a little "off" because of that. The HP950 will be a great carb for a snotty 440 tho. It will still need to be tuned, but it will work great.

Depending on the motor combo I am sure BG would tell you to run their 850..
So if the Holley flows 830 to 850 your in the ball park. Most motors that need more than 850cfm ie you tight, high flow head 440 and 500+ci motors will jump to a 1050 dominator.

-
Back