"Home-Brewed" 36 Inch Box,Pan,Finger Brake

-

"Dart67"

Reaction score
I have wanted a Box,Pan,Finger Brake since I was a young man. I will soon be 75.
I was always to broke or cheap to plunk down the money to buy one.
When I need to bend something I would "Improvise" or drive to a friends and use his brake.

Over the years I have watched countless Youtube videos on making brakes. From simple to complicated.
A few weeks ago I was back looking at Brake videos again and stumbled on this one:

As well as his Blog:
Home - Rescatando Chatarra

Now it is all in Spanish and you need to use Google Translate on the Blog and set the Youtube Closed Caption to English.
The other problem is that all the measurements are in Metric and need to be converted as well. Or if you are fine with the metric just use it.
This started out as a pile of dirty, rusted steel from my scrap pile.
I did have to purchase a piece of 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 6 ft length of flat steel to make the linkage and reinforcement bars. But I have a little over 3 feet of it left.
I also had to purchase all the bolts and hardware.

In Total, I have around $60 invested and a Great Deal of enjoyment from making something from nothing.

The brake seems to work quite well. I have only made a few test bends. But it bends 1/16" Stainless Steel very nicely.

102_0184.JPG
102_0186.JPG

This is about 1/16" steel from the roof of a 1967 Dart GT that I parted out. It was well past saving.
102_0189.JPG
102_0190.JPG
102_0191.JPG

This is 1/16" Stainless Steel.
102_0170.JPG

Oh man here come the lawn mobiles, just kidding. Nice work

That's a nice design. Most of the simple ones don't have a finger brake option, which makes them a lot more useful.

Looks nice. You sure wait a long time to decide to do something. lol

-
Back