"Home-Brewed" Dyno Results Added Photo

-

"Dart67"

Reaction score
I have been trying to "self" tune the F.A.S.T. XFI 2.0 for the last two years by driving, logging, and adjusting tables without much success.

I finally got feed up and on the recommendation of a member of the F.A.S.T. tech forum I called Gwantney Chevrolet in Jacksonville Arkansas for a dyno session.

Today was the day.

They are a 1 1/2 hour drive North of me.

I loaded "Home-Brewed" onto the trailer and headed North this morning.

After less then 5 minutes of tuning setting in the car in the lot, the tuner Ryan Stevens had the engine idling better then it ever had.

Ryan pull the car on to the dyno at 8 am and started tuning everything from scratch.

We found and fixed a few small issues that we could never had been able to find driving down the road.

Any way after almost 6 hours of tuning and tweaking the car runs absolutely fantastic.
It is a real MONSTER.

Keep in mind I requested that Ryan tune for drivability and not necessarily maximum horsepower and torque.

The final numbers at the rear wheels 431.3 HP and 552.5 ft lb .

View attachment dynosheet 1.jpg

View attachment Dart on Dyno.jpg

Herb

What size engine is this on? Big block? Small block? - And what small issues did you find? Are you having the FAST system control timing? If so, which ignition system (distributor, etc...) are you running?

What size engine is this on? Big block? Small block? - And what small issues did you find? Are you having the FAST system control timing? If so, which ignition system (distributor, etc...) are you running?

The engine is a 440 MOPAR bored and stroked to 512cu.in.

A well prepped set of Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum heads.

Static Compression Ratio of 11.7:1
Dynamic Compression Ratio of 9.6:1

Solid Roller Cam with the following specs:
Valve Lift with 1.6:1 rockers is 696 Intake and .688 Exhaust.
Advertized Duration is 289 Intake and 300 Exhaust.
Lobe Centerline is 108 Intake and 116 Exhaust.
Lobe Seperation of 112.
Intake Lobe is Degreed to 108.

The Intake system is "Home-Brewed". I built and made every thing myself.
The Intake Manifold started out as an Edelbrock 440 Torker which I modified for EFI.
I made the fuel rails from universal rail material with a 5/8" bore.

The injectors are F.A.S.T. 60 lb/hr. @ 43 psi

F.A.S.T. Dual Sync distributor

The throttle body is a 1000cfm MSD 2250.

The first "small issue" was a pinging under load only. It sounded as though it was one cylinder only. We had tried to find this in the drive and tune sessions over the last two years.

The ping did not exist if I ran my old 850 Holley carb and MSD distributor, so that ruled out too low of octane fuel.

I am running 93 octane pump gas.

We found the source of the ping by running the car under load and using an infrared heat gun to check the individual header tubes.

It turned out that #1 tube was over 200* "colder" then the other tubes.

I wiggled the injector plug and the temp came up. I pulled the plug and found that one of the pins was damaged and not making a good connection all the time.

This was causing the air fuel setting to vary and going lean. It was also affecting the timing tables due to the varying fuel mixtures.

I replaced the connector pin and everything started to come around.

After getting the tune almost stabilized we noticed that the header tubes on #3 and #5 and #2 and #4 were glowing red.

Ryan went into the table and did individual cylinder air fuel adjustments to richen those 4 cylinders and the red glow whent away and the engine smoothed out.

The F.A.S.T. XFI 2.0 has complete timing control. I am using a F.A.S.T. dual sycn distributor along with an MSD 6 box.

Herb

If you don't mind my asking, what all did this cost you?

Is that a lot of hp?

My 70 Charger calculates out to 503hp (at crank) running an essentilaly stock bottom end , 916's ported , 550 Crower roller , headers and a 6bbl intake.....
Ran 12.10 @ 116ish with 3.55's in Seattle.... 4000lb car

Just asking.....?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 189
If you don't mind my asking, what all did this cost you?

I can now go out to the shop and jump in the car, put the top down and drive and enjoy it.

I had been fighting the EFI tune since I had my MegaSquirt setup and could never get it tuned right.

Overall somewhere around ten years total. I do not give up easy. I can built about anything. I just can tune anything.

As for cost---------When you consider the above------------it was cheap and worth every penny...

It cost me $500 for the day.

Herb

Wow!!! That was cheep if you ask me, congratulations Dart67, I bet you would have paid twice that for the satisfaction you got :glasses7:

Wow!!! That was cheep if you ask me, congratulations Dart67, I bet you would have paid twice that for the satisfaction you got :glasses7:
why is the h.p. so low ? sounds like you could have saved some $$ and went w/ a plain fast system ????bob

why is the h.p. so low ?

The tuner said his chassis dyno tends to be on the low side for the Horse Power readings.

Also as stated, the engine was tuned for drivability and not necessarily maximum horsepower and torque.

sounds like you could have saved some $$ and went w/ a plain fast system ????bob

I don't know what you mean by a plain fast system.

Do you mean one of their Ez EFI systems?

The only part of my system that is made by F.A.S.T. is the ECU, it is a F.A.S.T. XFI 2.0.

I built the rest of the system my self, hence "Home-Brewed".

Herb

great results! and great info about your dyno experience. I have the 2.0 too, and should have it running soon... I cant wait to get it tuned.

JOE

-
Back