Home Improvement Rant

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
For those of you whom have been involved with home improvement projects know they make car restoration look like model building. A simple task of re-painting window trim evolved into $175 worth of lumber and a tub of plaster to repair holes... The thought of repairing a loose door hinge escalated into a door jamb replacement. And a loose ceiling tile has become a NEW ceiling, along with a ceiling fan.

Throw in adding a sliding door leading out to a deck that isn't there yet and you can see where I'm going.
House_53010017-vi.jpg

And I thought my Barracuda was slowly eating me alive...

Oh ya John,know where your coming from.Right in the middle of one of those projects as we speak.What was suppose to be just tiling the bathroom floor,has turned into a new tile shower,tile floor,wall board/knock down,paint and a new vanity/sink.
Holy CheeeWaaWaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!! ](*,)

I don't mind adding equity to our home, it's just the time-frame. We need to finish the bedroom, kitchen, and downstairs floors (along with that sliding door leading to a deck that isn't there yet...) and we're running out of time.

See, after we get the house in order so we can move in, then I get to re-vamp our Co-Op for re-sale. New bathroom, kitchen floor, carpeting, paint.

Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll be grilling and entertaining.... because all this work bites. I also haven't had the `Cuda out since Easter Sunday. Spare time is being used whenever we can on the house.

<sigh....> It'll all be worth it. Good luck with your project....s

LOL, I gave our "electrician" a ride down to Home Depot to get some stuff for the household wiring. He went off about a box of wall sockets costing 12 bucks.
I'ld kill for a box of anything for my car that cost only 12 bucks....

I gave up my golf game(about60-70 rounds a year) to renovate my cottage for 5 years.Now I golf about 3 rounds a year,but ya know I enjoyed working on my cottage. Now I drive my Cuda about 5 /week and I love it.:-D Might pick up golf again when i retire.8)

I'm in the middle of gutting a new bathroom just cause I didn't like the looks of it. Much easier than trying to figure out where hundreds of screws, bolts, clips, bumpers, plugs, lines, wires, hoses, brackets, etc... forever go.

That picture made me LMAO !!! I understand John, But from what I have seen here you can handle it, This will be over before you know it, Just be careful so you can flip a burger and play your bass, Don't hurt your self on your way.

A house is nothing more than a stationary car with 2 tons of bondo hiding all the previous repairs.

A house, or a shop, is always in flux. Wood is wood- just normal drying out, some want to twist. Some wait for 30 years, then want to do the dance.
Plywood, seal it in countertops. Particleboard- rip it out.
Then the exterior needs attention.
Never ending work.
Then try to figure out, why the epoxy stringers you just spent $3500 in the boat, won't work on your car?
I know, been there,

I know all about it John. I built my house 14 years ago. It's a 2700 sq ft monster. Since I built it I have done a lot of changes. This past winter I installed 800 sq ft of hardwood floor in the living room, dining room, front entry and Master suite. Last year I remodeled the kitchen and painted the entire upper floor. Wife still can't understand how I can cut in paint without using tape. LOL Next winter it's time for ceramic floors in the kitchen and master bath. Wife is talking she wants a ceramic shower to. This spring I also built a whole new floor system under my shed at the camp. That's a trick and a half. It never ends John, believe that. By the way, I have had that same look on my face when holding a pry bar.

Jack

Glad to see your going with the sliding door instead of a man door to the deck.Let the bbq,s begin!

Coyote,

Wife can't understand how you can cut in without tape??

Simple answer to a simple question.......

Honey, Just like you painting your nails so well with out masking..........

practice, practice and more practice.

Ya got to explain in womenspeak.

Coyote,

Wife can't understand how you can cut in without tape??

Simple answer to a simple question.......

Honey, Just like you painting your nails so well with out masking..........

practice, practice and more practice.

Ya got to explain in womenspeak.

Dave,

That is to simple. I like to make things sound complicated, that way she tinks I'm smarter than I really am. LOL

Jack

Youse guyz er funni..... 8)

The repairs are not out of my abilities. At least the ones I'm not farming out, like installing that sliding door. I have friends that are carpenters, electricians, and plumbers. I've done them all favors in the past. All I have to do is ask an opinion, and I have help. These guys are gold to me and I let them know they're appreciated.

But man, I thought the car was a medley of money! I spent at LEAST $100 a day this weekend on odds-n-ends.

I guess I should get the slicks & Centerlines outta the living room. Maybe put them on my car....
HellYeah_House044-vi.jpg

The house......it's gonna be a wild ride!
:cheers:

I've been a tilesetter for almost 25 years now and don't have to many problems doing other kinds of work to a house whether it be plumbing, framing, painting, or whatever. I find working on cars a lot tougher because nothing is universal like they are on houses. I bought a 65 Barracuda in pieces and for some people, it would be a breeze to put back together but it's been a tough grind for me. I'm pretty sure I could do much better building a house from scratch though. I am getting better over time on the car thing though.8)

-
Back