Home wiring - 2 breakers feeding 1 outlet

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I am installing a new outlet in my garage by feeding it from the outlet on the other side of the wall. When I tried to isolate the breaker I found someone had created a loop between 2 breakers . This seems bad .
So my plan is to seperate the circuits and feed each outlet via the 2 different circuits .

Any input ?

Whatever that is is certainly not good. Or, were they trying to separate each section of a duplex outlet and feed the individual sections with separate breakers? I could see, maybe, running a heavy table saw and some other heavy item, you'd want a pair of 20 capable outlets, but make sure the WIRE is large enough, along with the outlets themselves being rated

Someone pointed out (I did not know this) that when doing this, you need a twin breaker so that if one outlet pops the breaker, the other one opens as well.

Not sure what they were thinking . I need to turn off 2 breakers to power down the outlet .
I understand UK uses ring circuits but they loop back to same breaker

Are they in the same phase? If you're getting 110v they pretty much have to be.
Several years ago my father in law tried wiring something for 220v and was only getting 110v.
I came over and discovered that he had used one of those tandem circuit breakers for both legs and was still in the same phase.
The only thing I could see is they placed the upper on one circuit and the lower on another. Maybe the were running two pieces of equipment at the same time that had a large draw on the breaker. Like an air compressor and a saw.

Are they in the same phase? If you're getting 110v they pretty much have to be.
Several years ago my father in law tried wiring something for 220v and was only getting 110v.
I came over and discovered that he had used one of those tandem circuit breakers for both legs and was still in the same phase.
The only thing I could see is they placed the upper on one circuit and the lower on another. Maybe the were running two pieces of equipment at the same time that had a large draw on the breaker. Like an air compressor and a saw.
Well it didn’t blow my LED shop light so not 220 . But my fear is if there is a short it will have to pop 2 circuits. This appears to be an outlet added after the fact . I will add a double gang box and wire the 2nd outlet to one circuit thereby seperating them .

So each outlet in the double gang will operate off of seperate breakers… to clarify

-
Back