Homemade suspension parts

-

76orangewagon

Reaction score
Since I had some time at work for "training", I borrowed a new set of hotchkis strut rod and tie rod kits for the basic measurements and decided to make some modifications and upgrades to their products. First.. for the strut rods, instead of .850" hollow tubing with welded ends I decided to use solid 1" 4130 tubing and for the K frame support bracket I used 1/4" instead of their 3/16". Second... for the Tie rod kit they use 1 1/4" hollow tubing, again I used the same 4130 1" solid round stock mirroring the same contour I used on the strut rods for uniformity purposes and milled flats for use with a 7/8" wrench for alignment. I must admit that my material choices added a couple pounds but I'll make some cool fancy aluminum parts for the engine compartment down the road and hopefully that will make up for the added suspension weight. I really liked the CAP products design for their version of the adjustable strut rod mounting swivel so I whipped out a prototype of my version again using 4130 steel (more weight). So...next week I'll finish up the final products then decide which I will use, the round design will eliminate the misalignment spacers but the heim will still give me 22 degrees of side to side movement ..this should be plenty on a part designed to go up and down. To capitalize even more on Hotchkis' great design I called them and asked if they would sell me the hardware kit for their products. So for $37.00 I got all the misalignment spacers, tie rod taper spacers and all the grade 8 nuts, bolts and washers to complete the project. ...oh, by way these 2 kits from summit racing cost over $600.00.... currently I have $150.00 invested. My graphic buddy designed and cut out the stencils I used on the parts...and the logos are painted on. In case your wondering "RDG" in RDG Engineering stands for my initals... he put me on the spot and I had to pick a name....hope you enjoy the pics.
Attached Images
attachment.php

Heres a few more pics...

Attachments

• duster 049.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 450
  • duster 050 (2).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 473
  • duster 051 (2).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 464
  • duster 054 (2).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 418
  • duster 058 (2).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 485
  • duster 064 (2).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 423
  • duster 066 (2).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 420
  • duster 076.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 423
  • duster 072.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 430
  • duster 065 (2).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 459
$150.00 for the set is a great price I'll take a set to go on my 73 duster.

That is a nice set looks like you should go into production.

................BEAUTIFUL...........can u make me a set of strut rods 4 my 74 duster.............thanks.........kim.............

$150.00 for the set is a great price I'll take a set to go on my 73 duster.

That is a nice set looks like you should go into production.
I actually thought about making a couple extra set because I thought there would be interest, but after adding up the hours it not something I'm gonna go forward with. Sorry wish I could hook a brother up. Like your build by the way.

Beautiful parts, very professional looking.

I actually thought about making a couple extra set because I thought there would be interest,
but after adding up the hours it not something I'm gonna go forward with..

Welcome to my world

LOL

I actually thought about making a couple extra set because I thought there would be interest, but after adding up the hours it not something I'm gonna go forward with.

Maybe you can explain a little better for the guys that constantly complain about parts being too expensive.

very nice, did you write down the measurements of the parts for future reference, and so i can get them from you to make my own?

I actually thought about making a couple extra set because I thought there would be interest, but after adding up the hours it not something I'm gonna go forward with. Sorry wish I could hook a brother up. Like your build by the way.

Oh well thought I would try. And thanks I am working hard on my duster.

-
Back