Hood Emblem 64 Dart GT

-

cchrishefish

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a decent hood emblem for my 64 Dart Gt. My car was a former desert car therefore it has a lot of stress cracks. I certainly am not interested in buying the one from emblem magic mainly because I consider that price gouging. I am considering making one myself, has anyone else tried? I have a general idea and I am wondering if anyone has any input? I am thinking along the lines of mounting GT letters on top of a diamond plate decal and mounting this between 2 acrylic sheets. Someone mentioned to me that two sheets of plexiglass can be bonded together with a heat gun or along the edges with a special shop adhesive. I have seen the diamond type pattern at craft shops that gives the 3D appearance of the old school belt buckles when I was in my teens. I had one with the band YES.

I am going to pick up some materials today. Anyone have any suggestions?

I made one for my 63. I used a resin from hobby lobby and used the frame as a mold. I forget what I used as a backing to keep it from running out. I know the first time I used tape and it reacted with the surface and caused cloudiness. I filled it half way and let it dry and then put in some 360 lettering. filled it the rest of the way. Came out pretty good. It did get a small bubles though.

Attachments

• DSCN0119.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 247
I made one for my 63. I used a resin from hobby lobby and used the frame as a mold. I forget what I used as a backing to keep it from running out. I know the first time I used tape and it reacted with the surface and caused cloudiness. I filled it half way and let it dry and then put in some 360 lettering. filled it the rest of the way. Came out pretty good. It did get a small bubles though.

You should of used wax paper as the backing. Also, you can get small decal lettering. That is a good idea. what i did with mine is a got some paint pens and colored in the backing. That was on my trunk emblem on my 64 vert. Did the same on the post car.

I am happy to be getting such great ideas. Do you know the name of the resin and manufacturer? My idea was to use acrylic, but I think the resin is a much better idea. I found some 3D letters half inch size which would better replicate the original hood Gt badge. I would have to paint the outside perimeter silver to really make it look perfect. Also found some silver carbon fiber automotive decal adhesive backed with a 12 year uv and weather guarantee. It matches the background of the 64 GT emblem almost perfectly.

This place has them new:

http://www.emblemagic.com/

--Walt Jackson

Yes, but at $175.00 a piece, I think it is worth it to make my own. If the price was more in line with a $60.00 to $75.00 range, like most other makes of cars, I would just buy one. In order for these companies to lower their price, there needs to be some competition. I have already see lower prices on disc brake conversion kits because of competition.

Here's the engine callout on my 64 vert. Also some other pics

Attachments

• Dart Vert 273.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 132
  • dart vert rear.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Dart vert side.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 171
I am highly impressed with the look of your 273 emblem and your car looks amazing without the front bumper. What did you use to make your GT emblem red?

I am highly impressed with the look of your 273 emblem and your car looks amazing without the front bumper. What did you use to make your GT emblem red?

The old script and plastic was toast. I got a plastic 4 sale sign at the hardware store and cut out a piecy to fit the window of the trim. Once I had it cut I painted it. The lettering I got from the hardware store. It comes in different sizes. Once I applied the lettering I sprayed it with clear. I had an ole boy that does pin striping come by yesterday and do that art work on the trunk. I have some old nerf bars that are aluminum that I'll be putting on the car this weekend.

The old script and plastic was toast. I got a plastic 4 sale sign at the hardware store and cut out a piecy to fit the window of the trim. Once I had it cut I painted it. The lettering I got from the hardware store. It comes in different sizes. Once I applied the lettering I sprayed it with clear. I had an ole boy that does pin striping come by yesterday and do that art work on the trunk. I have some old nerf bars that are aluminum that I'll be putting on the car this weekend.[/QUOTE Your car looks excellent with the red/white color combo especially with the white convertible top. Does anyone else have any great ideas on how to create the emblems? I am interested in specific materials used etc. I am interested in the type of mold material earlier in my thread posting, brand specific would be helpful.

Do you know the resin brand that you used?

I forgot to mention that the "273" emblem on the hood was done by a local who does pinstriping. he has a computerized machine that cuts them out. Any sign shop can make you numbers or lettering in any size you want.

Thanks for the info, I saw some 1/2 inch 3d letters in a local craft store which represent the GT emblem well, I would have to paint the perimeter silver to mimic the emblem magic replica. My plan is to use the silver carbon fiber sheet for the backing, cut to size, adhere the GT letters, then fill with resin using the chrome strip as a mold. i will have to go to Hobby Lobby and see what type of resin is available since a brand was not mentioned on a previous post.

Thanks for the info, I saw some 1/2 inch 3d letters in a local craft store which represent the GT emblem well, I would have to paint the perimeter silver to mimic the emblem magic replica. My plan is to use the silver carbon fiber sheet for the backing, cut to size, adhere the GT letters, then fill with resin using the chrome strip as a mold. i will have to go to Hobby Lobby and see what type of resin is available since a brand was not mentioned on a previous post.

After careful measuring, I really need 5/8 inch tall letters, this measurement includes the silver border.

-
Back