hood hinge clip

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know, pull the fender! 64 dart, it needs the clip that keeps the hood hinge on that stud. I have a clip, can not quite get to the stud with my hand ( and my hand is not that big)..... any body have a way to get that clip on without pulling the fender? I have thought about getting a lock washer on that stud and trying to get the mig gun there to weld it on that one side I can maybe get to.

Not too familiar with the earlier A bodies. Are you going thru the wheel well or trying from door side? I would think if you pull the splash shield and go from wheel side using a socket that fits over the stud but not the clip to push it on. If it's the same retainer as the later cars.

Not too familiar with the earlier A bodies. Are you going thru the wheel well or trying from door side? I would think if you pull the splash shield and go from wheel side using a socket that fits over the stud but not the clip to push it on. If it's the same retainer as the later cars.
pulling the splash shield will give me access to start the retainer, but not any room to tap it on. maybe it will slid on easy enough. bad part is the generic retainer is too wide to fit without smacking it to make it conform to the hinge area there. ha!

Hi Barbee6043,

I know this may not help you with where your at right now, however on my 67 up A bodies i break off the star washer looking damn hinge retainers on dissassembly, then i drill the pins for small cotter pin, and use a washer and cotter pin to retain the hinges in place.

Hope this helps
Matt

Hi Barbee6043,

I know this may not help you with where your at right now, however on my 67 up A bodies i break off the star washer looking damn hinge retainers on dissassembly, then i drill the pins for small cotter pin, and use a washer and cotter pin to retain the hinges in place.

Hope this helps
Matt
sounds like good way to do it. but like you say won't help my immediate problem. I;m sure those little star washer retainers after 5o years get pretty thin!!
I think I will get couple 1/2 in lock washers and stick the mig head in there and tack weld.

I work doing aviation sheetmetal repair for a living. We use small angle drills for a lot of stuff. Drilling out rivets on lots of internal frames, intercostals etc. If i lived closer i'd hook you up. I'd snap out my pan american 90° drill in that fenderwell of yours and drill it with a #40 bit for a cotter pin.

2016-07-29-20-24-03--1605823618.jpg

sounds like good way to do it. but like you say won't help my immediate problem. I;m sure those little star washer retainers after 5o years get pretty thin!!
I think I will get couple 1/2 in lock washers and stick the mig head in there and tack weld.
I just did mine and went in from the door and got them started and then used a small pry bar and a box wrench that fit on them to pry them on. Did the same on the trunk ones too.

-
Back