Hood hinge on 68 dart seems stuck open

-

BrownDart

Reaction score
My hood was off for a while and I put it on today. Went on great, but now can't shut it - stuck open. Didn't put any hood spacers on yet - wonder if that has something to do with it. What is the secret? Before I left I sprayed the hinge's with white grease and wd 40. Haven't tried to force it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

Look through the door jam for issues

My hardtop you have to really give it a hard pull to get started. Been that way now for 10 years. When my car was in the shop I got a call that they couldn't close the hood. I told them to pull real hard. No problem. My convertible doesn't need as much persuasion.

The pins that hold the hinges to cowl/firewall have a push on retainer that likes to work itself out which loosens the hinges. I put small worm gear hose clamps on the pins so that the hinge stays in place. Not sure if the will help, but can't hurt. They probably need to be be properly lubricated too, everything, the springs, and all pivot points.

As stated, the pin on the door hinge pillar holds the hinge with a push on type retaining washer. Maybe you can look and see if the hinge slid away from pillar due to washer not holding. You might have some access though splash shield area but not sure.In this pic someone used washers and drill and installed cotter pin to hold more snug.
1701892036378.png

I got to the barn and the passenger side was free. After knocking the drivers side with a long screwdriver and rubber hammer and lubing it up some more it freed. Just need to adjust a little and it's good to go. Thanks for all you help.

IMG_0704.jpg

I used a thread die on mine and put nylock jam nuts on them. I don't recall the thread size.

They get loose and want to splay out and be difficult pivot.

Is that a fiberglass hood? Or steel? If it's glass, you really should get lighter hinge springs.

-
Back