Hood pin attachment nut

-

Spadman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
One of my fenders is original and seems to have a nut for the hood pin attached under fender. The other new fender has a dimple where the pin goes but that’s it. Was the nut welded to bottom of the fender. I dread it but looks like the fender will have to be removed to do it. Has anyone done this before. Appreciate experienced advice. There doesn’t seem to be room between the wrap around part of the fender and the radiator support to do much. The body shop overlooked it and I didn’t think to check them. I do have a bit of paint left for touch up if I have to weld.

IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_1281.jpeg

One nut above, one nut below with a star washer below the fender . If you can get the bottom nut started, you can usually pull up and the star washer will let you screw the post in and out of the bottom nut without having to hold it. Yeah it's a pain to snake your arm up and get it started. Do you need a picture of how to get to it?

DSC01349.JPG

One nut above, one nut below with a star washer below the fender . If you can get the bottom nut started, you can usually pull up and the star washer will let you screw the post in and out of the bottom nut without having to hold it. Yeah it's a pain to snake your arm up and get it started. Do you need a picture of how to get to it?

View attachment 1716180652
Thanks so much! I may have to come back later to ask how to reach it. It looked impossible at first glance.

View attachment 1716180652
BTW, your bolt heads look so much better than my rusty ones. Where did you get yours?

I'll try to find the receipt - stainless steel smooth head body bolts with captured washers

OK - problem #1 (the original) see below for pics of how to access the pin and nut from the bottom, from inside the wheel well. It is right above the big bowl that holds the headlight bucket. This is a 2 man job - an idiot (OOPS "helper") above to hold the pin with the upper nut screwed on stable and someone below to get the star washer and nut started. Once in place pull up on the pin so that the star washer keeps the lower nut from turning and spin the pin. It will takes some trial and error to get the pin at the right level (having the hood pin too close to the bezel will result in a bezel that look like crap before too long). The other adjustment is centering the pin in the bezel hole. This requires "specialized tools" like a socket that fits over the pin and a hammer to tap the socket on the side to actually bend the fender metal around the pin to the right shape. It is easy to overdo this so tap, tap, tap and try the fit... tap, tap, tap and try the fit...
DSC00731.JPG

That's it center of photo half in shadow - not as hard to reach as it is to take a good picture. The bowl bottom is where your headlight bucket mounts (but the other side).
DSC00732.JPG

OK - next are the fender bolts. They are smooth top stainless steel and if you want you can polish them to a chrome like finish. They came from AMK Products - www.amkproducts.com
The larger ones are 5/16-18 x 1.0 Part# B-13832
The smaller ones are 1/4-20 x 7/8 part # B13871

If you have the fender off they also have black phosphate coated U-nuts available, but they screw right into the factory U-nuts

DSC00729.JPG

DSC00730.JPG

STR-12: Thanks so much! Not anything as bad as I thought.

-
Back