Hood Scoop Install

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I have a sheet of aluminum that I would like to make a Max Wedge scoop with it. I have the scoop designed on paper. But I am unsure of how to design the mounts to mount it to the hood. Thanks for any input.

put 90 degree breaks in scoop where it will meet the hood, glue and/or use couter sunk pop rivits. The dond it out.

Thanks, the rivets should hold it tight enough that the scoop won't vibrate and crack the bondo? What kind of glue?

Good luck on gettting plastc filler to stick to aluminum

weld in female threaded nuts on the inside, then bolt it under from bottom. Then evercoat/ fiberglass. Anything else will crack. Been there.

weld in female threaded nuts on the inside, then bolt it under from bottom. Then evercoat/ fiberglass. Anything else will crack. Been there.

I like that idea. Maybe weld a bolt instead of a nut, like some of the factory scoops that have a stud molded into the scoops. It doesn't need to be seamless, then I won't even need to worry about the fiberglass.

That is an AWFUL LOT of work ... I would suggest just spending the 80-100 bux and buying one.

This one is going on my Jeep. I will buy the one that is going onto the Barracuda. I have to make the one for the Jeep, because all of the one that are available have the wrong proportions to fit the Jeep hood.

HOW ABOUT cutting-one-up and 'glassing it together for the Jeep?

AGAIN .... banging-one-out in alum/steel is a BIG job ...and requires REAL special tools.

HOW ABOUT cutting-one-up and 'glassing it together for the Jeep?

AGAIN .... banging-one-out in alum/steel is a BIG job ...and requires REAL special tools.

I would hate to buy a new scoop and cut it up. I don't have much experience with fiberglass either. So either way would be a project.

It would probably be a lot easier to start with a scoop than just a sheet of aluminum though.

Is anyone making reproduction Max Wedge scoops in aluminum?

I thought I remember someone saying that there ARE repro alum scoops available ... but they are huge $$$$.

And there are A LOT more people that can work with fiberglass(and putting the scoop BACK together) than there are people that can hammer-out sheet-metal. THAT is a real SKILL.

-
Back