Hood to grill gap

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
Tried searching for an hour in the archives and haven't been successful to finding my answer.

I have a 71 Scamp that I broke completely down and painted. I replaced the front fenders from a 72 Scamp. The upper hood latch support, center hood latch support, and lower grill support are original to the car. Im replacing the factory grill with a factory sharktooth grill. I noticed i have a half inch gap between the top of the grill to the bottom of the hood. I've adjusted the center latch support where it bolts to the lower radiator support as far up as it goes. Still a half inch gap. Anyone know what's wrong? Car was never in an accident. Gaps between fenders, hood, cowl, and doors not bad at all for a 70's mopar. The hood sits flush with the fenders. I'm boggled as to what's wrong, help please!

The corner bumpers on the fender are adjusted up too high maybe? Pics would help.

The corner bumpers on the fender are adjusted up too high maybe? Pics would help.
I'll get a pic tomorrow, but as i said before everything else lines up. The front hood line matches to the front body line of the fenders. Even when i try to install the headlight bezels the top molding on the grill doesn't line up, so the bezel doesn't sit right.

Are you using original or new bump stop rubbers along the fenders?

They are new. I know where your going with this as I was thinking the same thing. Although, If the hood is flush with the top of the fenders i'm not seeing how the side bumpers are holding the hood up. I could always removed the side bumpers and see what happens. Whats your thoughts?

I was just curious as i installed new and they were too rigid for my liking, the hood would latch but you could feel it putting pressure on the hood and it actually raising it up enough so the hood and fenders were no longer flush

Remember the grille goes over the top of the grille support not under it as I have seen many do. This pics below is the correct spacing and how it mounts

DSCF0093[1].jpg

spoiler pics 776.jpg

-
Back