Hood weather strips/seals

-

mtn_jake

73-340 Duster Hemi Orange
Reaction score
I'm trying to find where to get the seals or weatherstrips for under the hood for my 73 Duster......I'm needing the hood to radiator and the hood to cowl areas. I had purchased these from 'steele rubber' but they don't even look close to what was taken off my hood........Anyone know where I can find these 2 items?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Greg.........mtn_jake

Thanks for the information.......the site http://www.rpmrestoparts.com
was very helpful........I've already put the items on order and should get them monday!! The lady was so helpful and nice....ask for LEA. The price was just like you had said......reasonable.
Thanks again!!
Ordered and waiting for delivery!!
Greg........mtn_jake

Steele Rubber Products....I bought all the rubber for my Duster from them...very quick turn around...another outlet to remember

yes you are right about the turn around time......but the seals won't work....there weren't any clips on or places for the cowl seal and the radiator to hood seal ..... all the holes were out of wack!!.....
So.....I've already ordered what i needed from the http://www.rpmrestoparts.com

Greg.........mtn_jake

Guess it would have helped if I read your whole question. I have a 70 and haven't even tried mine yet, still waiting for paint. But I was really impressed with their turn around time. Now I'm worried because I ordered all new rubber for my car thru them. Did you contact them about your problem?

I had ordered the seals on wednesday.....got them thursday. Took them to the body shop thursday afternoon to find out that they wouldn't fit....don't even look like the ones that were on it.....not even close. I've not contacted them yet because I've been trying to find out here where else to find them. I'm going to contact them on monday morning. I guess that they will take them back ...... most places do when you find out these things. Guess I'll find out monday if they can be returned or not.
I had ordered a lot of my other stuff from either paddock or another place I've found that had a lot of things that no one else had it's called Jim's Auto Parts........link to their site is:
http://www.jimsautoparts.com/restoration_parts.htm
Some of his things are a little pricey but when you can't find it anywhere else, you have to pay a little (or a lot) more for it.
Kinda like the door jamb switches I ordered back in january.....they were 3/8"X24 threads......my holes in the door jamb was 1/2".....had to send them back just the other day to year one. Don't know why mine were 1/2" but they were.......not to mention, one was a dual wire switch and the other was a single prong.
Guess it pays to check when a person orders stuff before waiting to put it on then find out that it won't fit and you've already thrown the old one away.........luckily I kept my old stuff till the new was installed to go by or re-use if I couldn't find a replacement.
Greg........mtn_jake

Jims justs plan sucks.

I had ordered the seals on wednesday.....got them thursday. Took them to the body shop thursday afternoon to find out that they wouldn't fit....don't even look like the ones that were on it.....not even close. I've not contacted them yet because I've been trying to find out here where else to find them. I'm going to contact them on monday morning. I guess that they will take them back ...... most places do when you find out these things. Guess I'll find out monday if they can be returned or not.
I had ordered a lot of my other stuff from either paddock or another place I've found that had a lot of things that no one else had it's called Jim's Auto Parts........link to their site is:
http://www.jimsautoparts.com/restoration_parts.htm
Some of his things are a little pricey but when you can't find it anywhere else, you have to pay a little (or a lot) more for it.
Kinda like the door jamb switches I ordered back in january.....they were 3/8"X24 threads......my holes in the door jamb was 1/2".....had to send them back just the other day to year one. Don't know why mine were 1/2" but they were.......not to mention, one was a dual wire switch and the other was a single prong.
Guess it pays to check when a person orders stuff before waiting to put it on then find out that it won't fit and you've already thrown the old one away.........luckily I kept my old stuff till the new was installed to go by or re-use if I couldn't find a replacement.
Greg........mtn_jake

that could be......... but he did have a couple of items that I was unable to find elsewhere.
Greg.........mtn_jake

that could be......... but he did have a couple of items that I was unable to find elsewhere.
Greg.........mtn_jake

Jim's is the east coast equivalent of Layson's.

they billed me twice the price quoted on the phone and basicly told me to go screw myself. i disputed the charge and got the parts for free.

Greg.........mtn_jake

Really sorry to hear that. But at least you did get your money back.

Most of the bigger suppliers carry the weatherstrips - whether they're correct or not is another matter. I was looking at Legendary's catalog last night and even they carry cowl seals. I bought the bulk of my gaskets and seals through Restoration Specialties. They have a lot of obscure stuff and it arrived correct with clips and everything.

I was going to get mine from the Restoration Specialties company but at the time I called for the seals, they were out of stock.

I haven't purchased anything from this place, but they have a good selection and the prices are reasonable, let me know how things turn out.

http://www.rpmrestoparts.com/cgi-bi...spage&thispage=wstrip.html&ORDER_ID=379553359

340butterduster............
I received the 2 hood seals (hood to radiator & hood to cowl) today. They were GREAT:supz: They were made from very heavy feeling rubber that should last a long time. They were EXACTLY like the ones that I removed. The ones I had gotten from Steele Rubber Products, they were fast in delivery but NOT EVEN CLOSE to what I needed like the ones I got today from RPM Restoration Parts......cost was even a few bucks cheaper.:thumbup: The one for the radiator area even had factory looking clips included (no extra charge)!!\\:D/
Thanks for the info to get me to the right people for the right stuff!! :wav:

Again..........Thanks
Greg....mtn_jake

congrats. i too love my repops. they fit just like original. they look good on a freshly painted hood. when you do restos, you learn who to buy from and who not to.

-
Back