hopefully close to last wiring questions - pics attached

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
ok well i am slowly getting there with all your help! learned what an oil sending plug looks like as well as where the neutral safety switch goes.

so i have removed the following components fom the 76 318 :
- newer rectifier/regulator
- elec ignition
- newer alternator
- dual field? ballast

so here are some pics. i understand how to wire in series/parallel, etc i just want to be sure before cutting that i am doing things correctly. any help is much appreciated.

ballast-1.jpg

wire-2.jpg

wire3.jpg

wire-4.jpg

original car is a 67 dart gt /6 that i am putting a 318 driveline from a 76 dart swinger. hope that helps

Just a couple of quick points...

"so i have removed the following components fom the 76 318 :
- newer rectifier/regulator
- elec ignition
- newer alternator
- dual field? ballast"

It's not a rectifier/regulator. A rectifier refers to a device which converts AC to DC such as the diodes within the alternator. The regulator simply regulates field voltage at the alternator.

There is no "dual field" in the alternator. It's one field winding or coil which has 2 ends. Normally one end goes to a positive supply and the other end is regulated. On the older alternators the positive end was regulated and the other end was internally grounded inside the alternator so it didn't need to come out.

thanks guys - any more info you can provide based on the pics?

Your original voltage regulator had 2 wires on it. A blue that is hot in run and a green that is field. You will cut both of those to install the connector for the solid state regulator. When you do that, fork and add a blue wire approx 6 feet long to be routed to the alterntor. The connector that you cut off of that green wire will be reused on the new blue wire at its altenator end.
Both blues and the one green connected to the regulator connector and done.

Its acually isolated field system. The later regulator can use one of the original bolt holes. The upper bolt hole will be a new hole with a thread cutting or self threading bolt and a spacer about 3/8 " long due to offset in the cowl.

thanks Red - may i ask if you think my wiring tot eh ballast is ok and is there anything else to know about for wiring the ignition circuit?

someone else will have to help you with the dual ballast and eletronic ignition.

-
Back