Horn Beeping when turning

-

Shane

Reaction score
When I first got the car on the road, everyonce and a while the horn would beep when I turned the wheel all the way to one side, or the other. By a month's time I had to unplug my horn under the hood cause it would just stay blarring like I had road rage problems....

I pulled the wheel today, and it seems that there is a cooper ring with a wire that makes the horn beep . It is held on by a bushing that is all but gone, and some kinda metal ring to hold it all on.....

Am I right to assume the cooper coloured ring is supposed to stay in one place and not turn freely left to right??

Any suggestions how to fix this??

Thanks,

Shane

Hawaii2009 226.jpg

I was gonna guess the Wire was wrapped on the steering wheel that was how it happened to me

Usually when the horns goes off when you are turning it is because the circuit has a bad ground and the horn button is actually making contact all the time. Turning the wheel completes the circuit because the steering column is now conducting but the connection usually breaks once you bring the wheel back to center. Check you steering coupler to make sure it is not all rusted up. The ground to the horn actually passes down the steering column. This happened with my car when I first bought it. When I rebuilt the steering coupler, it stopped acting up and works in all positions. The copper ring under the steering wheeling allows the horn button circuit to rotate with the steering wheel. The little pin sticking up with the tiny wheel on the end of it is the electrical connection between the horn hot feed coming up the wiring harness and the horn switch which then grounds through the steering column. So in a nutshell the copper ring should move with the steering wheel but should only contact the little wheel when you press the horn button.

see in the picture, the gasket like material is breaking up between the cooper ring and the metal clamp on the end. the cooper ring is able to move right to left on its own, not just with the wheel when the wheel is being turned...

Should it be in one place and not able to move? Just turn with the wheel?

-
Back