New relay
Added in a ground
Checked two different horns
Both work off a direct 12 volts

Once they are installed I can only get it to sound once in a great while

It has a older chrome steering wheel with wood around the edge called the 500
And a while ago I changed the car over to manual steering
Had to change the guts out in the column

Do you have a good ground when the horn button is pushed, making contact with the steering wheel hub? You can test that circuit

The steering wheel is called
The 500 by superior performance products
It has a metal horn button
When it gets pressed u can c little sparks when it touches the steering wheel
Also u can hear the relay clicking when the button is pushed

If the rely clicks, are you getting voltage out of the rely to the horns?

Yes
should be power into one terminal, then power out of a terminal when it is closed. When the horn button is pushed and makes contact.

I tested the horn wires in the engine compartment
Both turn the light on when I press the horn

Didn't test the relay
Put a new 1 in yesterday and it is doing the same as the 1 I pulled out

have you a multi meter?
What is the voltage at the horns, when you push the button?
If you have 12 vdc at the horns, then the rely is ok. If not then the ground is not making contact well enough to keep voltage there.

So the relay needs to ground itself when it is bolted down?
Or
the ground I put to the body of the horn isn't working?

Last edited:
What happens, when the horn button is pushed, it grounds itself to the wheel hub, through the switch ground stud ( that runs on the button side of steering wheel) to the rely. This ground makes the circuit in the rely complete so the coil pulls the contact down to let the voltage through to the horns. You have three connections at the rely, 12 vdc, ground and 12 vdc out. A rely is used were you do not want to have voltage going through a device that do not need it, like the turn signal switch.
Time to go to work, if you need help it will have to be tonight. PM me
Good luck

What happens, when the horn button is pushed, it grounds itself to the wheel hub, through the switch ground stud ( that runs on the button side of steering wheel) to the rely. This ground makes the circuit in the rely complete so the coil pulls the contact down to let the voltage through to the horns. You have three connections at the rely, 12 vdc, ground and 12 vdc out. A rely is used were you do not want to have voltage going through a device that do not need it, like the turn signal switch.
Time to go to work, if you need help it will have to be tonight. PM me
Good luck
Actually the purpose of the relay is to switch high current devices (horn) using a low current switch (horn button).

-
Back