Horn Question

-

gsoco

gsoco
Reaction score
Hello AGAIN...:lol: My 62 Valiant horns work when I hot wire them and the relay tests good. Does anyone know if the steering column needs a ground wire to the dash for the horn to work? Thanks!
Jason

it needs to be grounded.
usually grounds where it bolts on, but I have added a ground wire where it was needed before.

Try a jumper wire first to test.

This. It seems to me highly likely the problem is in the "rotating switch" but you never know. Another big caveat is folks who yank the horn wires off to silence them. This often leaves the relay engaged when a horn button is shorted, and causes a battery drain

This. It seems to me highly likely the problem is in the "rotating switch" but you never know. Another big caveat is folks who yank the horn wires off to silence them. This often leaves the relay engaged when a horn button is shorted, and causes a battery drain ft

All set...Bad ground...

There's a spring-loaded, rolling contact on the turn signal switch that provides for the ground path for your horn relay's switching circuit as you turn the steering wheel. If that contact is broken/missing/faulty, or the copper ring on the back of the steering wheel is dirty, pressing the horn button will have no effect. The horn switch itself (bakelite-and-metal ring-shaped dingus under the horn button) must also be in working condition.

To test part of the circuit, I'd pull the horn button off and remove the horn wire from the contact switch. With everything else connected, touch that wire to the nut holding the steering wheel on. If it now honks, your contact switch is bad. If it still doesn't honk, your relay may be bad. Find the wire connection on the relay that goes to the contact switch in the column. Ground that wire and see if it honks. If it does, there's an open circuit somewhere from there to the column turn signal switch. If it doesn't, your relay is bad or not getting power. You should be able to do the same test at the turn signal switch connector. Just get a wiring diagram so you know which is the horn wire.

Thanks Dan...paint overspray...
slantsixdan said:
There's a spring-loaded, rolling contact on the turn signal switch that provides for the ground path for your horn relay's switching circuit as you turn the steering wheel. If that contact is broken/missing/faulty, or the copper ring on the back of the steering wheel is dirty, pressing the horn button will have no effect. The horn switch itself (bakelite-and-metal ring-shaped dingus under the horn button) must also be in working condition.
Thanks Dan. Pliant overspray...

To test part of the circuit, I'd pull the horn button off and remove the horn wire from the contact switch. With everything else connected, touch that wire to the nut holding the steering wheel on. If it now honks, your contact switch is bad. If it still doesn't honk, your relay may be bad. Find the wire connection on the relay that goes to the contact switch in the column. Ground that wire and see if it honks. If it does, there's an open circuit somewhere from there to the column turn signal switch. If it doesn't, your relay is bad or not getting power. You should be able to do the same test at the turn signal switch connector. Just get a wiring diagram so you know which is the horn wire.
done. Thanks...all fixed...

This. It seems to me highly likely the problem is in the "rotating switch" but you never know. Another big caveat is folks who yank the horn wires off to silence them. This often leaves the relay engaged when a horn button is shorted, and causes a battery drain

Hey Dan...so the horn works fine now...a lot of paint over spray removed from various parts...but as my luck continues, now, for some unknown reason...not bulb...the passenger side blinker has failed...ideas? Thanks as always.
Jason

-
Back