horn relay?

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Just installed my new Signal light switch on the 69 Dart,went very well.Now my horn does not work, it would work some times and not in the past.Am I right is the horn relay on the left side kick panel it is clicking loudly when I push on the center cap,so I am thinking its gone south. any thoughtssss.

If the horn relay is clicking, then it means the trigger side of the relay is working. The contacts could still be toast, or there might be no +12v to the load-in contact of the relay, or there could be a fault in the wire between the relay and the horn(s), or the horn(s) could be faulty. Time for some step-by-step diagnosis. Yes, the relay is above the left kickboard.

what kind of power is the stock horn relay good for? i just added a few horns and it looks like they arent getting enough power. they all work, just not very well fro mthe factory horn wire.

On earlier models the horns got direct battery voltage ( take off at the alternator ). The little black wire to the column switch only supplies a ground signal to close the relay contacts and that side is/was the only fused path. So IF the circuit that actually supplies power to the horn should short out it would blow the fusible link.
Another member says blowing his horn stalls the engine.
A relay click doesn't prove the contacts inside are good either.

you didnt happen to pinch a wire in the column when putting it back together did you?

might be worthwhile to take the horn apart just enough to ground the wire that goes to the horn to see if it does the same thing as it is now. I would do this and other such playing.

gl

you didnt happen to pinch a wire in the column when putting it back together did you?

might be worthwhile to take the horn apart just enough to ground the wire that goes to the horn to see if it does the same thing as it is now. I would do this and other such playing.

gl

Na I was very careful installing that switch.Thing is befor the change the horn would work and than not.

i added a relay up front and im good now. all 4 horns are working. i couldnt take the ONE under the battery tray. i tired the stupid wolo bad boy but it wasnt nearly as loud as these 4 horns and it sounded like crap.

-
Back