horns

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
How do I check the horns on my 65 barracuda. These are stock and are removed from the car, but wouldn't work when I picked up the car.
What should I check to see if the horns are bad or something else

Not the kind I was asking about

ANIMALS _ LONGHORN STEER _ Flickr - Photo Sharing!.jpg

It could just be the relay,run a power wire from your battery and touch the horn terminal and see if they work. Then you will at least know the horns are good.

If the horns work, check your connection at the relay or just replace it. There are only 3 main areas for the horns to work,horns,relay and in the wheel and sometimes the wiring but usually one of the 3 are the cause.

I have the steering column out of the car at present, can't really do a lot right now, but I can check small things like this

I clean the terminal on the horn making sure it's shiny then wire wheel the nub on the mounting bracket so it's bare metal. Run a wire from the horn terminal to the positive battery terminal and ground the mounting bracket nub to the neg battery terminal. If the horn is good, it'll work

Thanks, sure wish I could start making some progress on finishing this project. Didn't plan on getting sick and being restricted on what I can do. I had plans on being able to being able to drive my car this year.

this is if the battery is out of the car: down and dirty check - disconnect the horn pos wire, run a neg wire to the chassis ground & pos wire from the battery to the horn pos lead - if it beeps.. :thumbsup: (works with the horns on the bench too)

Thanks, sure wish I could start making some progress on finishing this project. Didn't plan on getting sick and being restricted on what I can do. I had plans on being able to being able to drive my car this year.
I tell ya - if I was just a bit closer.....

I am hoping to finish painting the interior before cold weather, and have the exterior ready for paint come spring is my best bet.

WP_20160308_15_41_49_Pro.jpg

They are not bolted, I have removed everything I could to paint under the hood

I always try enlisting my wife to touch the wire to BATT+ to test the horn (w/ case grounded). Scares the bejesus out of me, even though I know to expect the sound.

I can't get my wife to do anything with my Barracuda, she doesn't care for my car at all!

Mitch, that kinda resembles the front of my Barracuda.

my wife brags occasionally about my barracuda, but doesn`t really give a flip about it.
The only time my wife mentions mine is to say she wish I could finish it so she would have some garage space, or if by chance she is talking to her cousin who loves to take their Camaro to cruise in's around North and South Carolina.

Another check is with a ohm meter if it has any continuity it is usually good, also if it does not sound turn the small 12pt adjusting screw in and back it out usually frees them up.

Hopefully I can get in the garage tomorrow and try that as well as find the rest of the interior parts that need painting. Thanks for the info

If a horn does not work, remove it, connect it to 12 v and holding the bracket and letting the horn dangle, strike the center mounting point of the horn sharply with a hammer.
Or any others means of jarring the contact points into operation.

See, it does have a resemblance

I do recall that "resemblance".... With that said... I wish I was near by you so I could assist ... I worry about you Tadams... Just saying.... Ed wishes I would move Back there... I think about it from time to time. ⚓

-
Back