Horse power guesstimations

-

troubles brewing

Reaction score
I have a 69 dodge dart gt that is a bracket car only. It has a .30 over 440, with a stock steel crank, windage tray, 6 pack rods and 10 - 1 flat tops at zero deck height. It had 346,s that were pocket ported, a tm7 manifold with a 650 double pumper. The rockerarms were cast 1.5,s. The car did a best time of 11.20 at 118 mph with a 727 trans break and 4.30 spool.
I am putting victor heads regular port that will flow 330 at .600 lift. A 440 victor manifold with some porting,a qfx 1050 with 4150 adapter.
The cam has .555 lift with 260 duration @ .050. I will be going to 1.6 ratio roller rockers which should give it .592 lift.
The compression ratio was approximately 11-1 and i plan an raising that to 12-1 and running racing fuel.
My question is, about what kind of hp and tq will this combo make?
PS; the cam is small but i think that i,am going to use it, i just race for fun.
Thanks for the help everyone.

550 to 570 sounds close.Don't bump comp up yet.You are gonna poop,as is.

I'm still tripping that you did an 11.20 with only a 650 carb! What the heck?

I'll guess 570 H.P. on that new setup.

The carb was worked over before i bought the car. I was told that it flowed 1020 cfm,s??? I have a hard time believing that, so i got the QFX 1050 just in case.
The 6-pak rods are heavy. I shift at 5800 and go though the traps at about 6300.
I see what you mean about crapping my pants, sorry i didnt get it at first.
I hope this will put me in the 10,s. But i guess it does not matter as long as it holds together.

Absolutely will! Hang on for how quick in comes on, brother.Hold on before you add compression,airflow changes all that,was my first reference.

With those heads and intake, 585 TQ @ 4600, 620 HP @ 6100.

I am not sure how close the figures are with cam quest, because you can't have all the right parts that is in your motor. I put in the figures as good as i could and depending on which cam you pick, the hp falls between 575-645. The tq from 580-600.
Has anyone tested this system with a motor that has been dynoed?
Thanks for all your input. I can hardly wait to floor it.

Cam Quest is trying to sell you a Comp camshaft and therefore I believe their figures are a little (or a lot) happy.

The numbers I gave you are our dyno hp/tq results from a similar engine running 290 cfm iron heads, 9.5:1, 91 octane and a smaller carb. You could conceiveably get more but I would have you be pleasantly suprised, rather than disappointed should I over estimate.

I have the Desktop Dyno and it was almost dead nuts accurate! Horsepower was within 1hp and 100 rpm. torque was within 11ft;lbs and 100rpm!

The 346 heads that came off that motor flowed at 255 cfm @ .550 lift on my brothers sf-1020 flow bench. That is were they maxed out. The previous owner said that it had about 500 hp. I think that the engine is at least 10 years old, because the cam has ep45 cast on it and no one seems to know who makes them. The lobe measured at .370 lift, but i am not to good at engine work so who knows. I was told that the cam was a comp .562 lift 265 @.050. I'll get my brother to measure it and check the valve to piston clearance when he is finished porting the heads and manifold. It helps to have a brother with a cylinder head machine shop.
One of those desk top dyno's sounds like a lot of fun, putting together different combinations to see what you come up with. I takes some of the guess work out and could save you a lot of money.
Any guess's on et in a 3200 lb. dart, me in it. 4.30 gears 29.5-11.5-15s?
No matter what the time, i'm going to include a pair of ex.lg. depends as part of my safety gear.
Thanks again everyone. Now off to work to pay for this combo.

...........Welcome to FABO...............i think u will gain about a 1/2 second.......u may need 4.10s to keep the revs down.......kim............

-
Back