Hot Starting Issue

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
72 Dodge Demon/360 5.9l Magnum/727 trans/Mallory Electronic Ignition/

Developed an interesting no-start condition after driving somewhat short distances (~5 miles)

After short trips, running errands etc; my car does not start up right away, meaning I will turn the key and nothing happens (no crank). Sometimes if I will hold the key in the start position for ~5-10 seconds, the engine will begin to crank and start fine. Once it cranks it starts right up. The car has no issues starting right up when cold or if the car sits for awhile after driving it..

I'm thinking starter relay, maybe the starter is getting heat soaked? I have dynomax full length headers and a mopar mini-starter. This issue developed after the car sat for a month or so while I rebuilt the carburetor. Probably unrelated though.

Thoughts???

check voltage to relay in start and if its pulling in.if it does and you have voltage to the starter,then the starter is the issue,and or excessive heat to the starter rendering it unoperative.

Starter relay. Take a screwdriver or quarter... whatever you have handy and jump the terminals on the relay when this occurs. If it cranks it's a relay or relay ground ( neutral safety switch) issue. If it doesn't it is a starter or starter cable issue.

-
Back