Hot starting question

-
My Eddie carb did the same thing. You can't see the fuel purculation but its happening and causing the carb to flood. That is why opening up the throttle plates when cranking works because it lets in the air. I just put one of these on my car and it has made a HUGE difference:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL-9266&N=700+115&autoview=sku

If you have an Eddie carb you really need on of those. It says they are for "extreme under hood temperatures" but my car runs nice and cool and still would peculate when shut down. With the insulator on there it fires right up. Very happy now.

just got over the same prob. gas still in the carb but when hot she would crank my battery out of juice.
first of all this only started to me when i changed my t-stat from a 160 to a 195 still no sighn of boil over. but hard start when hot or warmed up.
my fix was a 1 in phenolic spacer its fiber not plastic or alum. when my motor is 200 degrees i can still grab my carb without it burning my hand.
or i think i could of just put a 160 back in it lowering mi temps. 35 degrees. had no problems before.

I have not experienced this with a Holley either. Fishy, are you running a Holley?

Yes I am on my car but my buddy has a Edelbrock on his truck. My carb doesn't get hot enough to burn my hands when I touch it after running the car. My buddies did and that's when we installed the insulator gasket like 340s Fastback showed in the link. It didn't make any difference with his. I wish I had enough hood clearance to try one but even with the thin gasket my air cleaner stud (actually a bolt for more clearance because any stud caused the wing nut to hit) is only about 1/8" from the hood.

I am running an LD340 intake manifold, an Eddie 650 AVS with the Eddie insulator, and stock 340 air cleaner. I have room to spare between hood and air cleaner. But the '69 has that slight hump in the middle of the hood so that probably helps.

I think the difference with the Holley is the bowls are on the ends instead of directly on top of a hot intake????

Yeah the Holleys generally don't have this problem and I think its the fuel bowl location like you said. And the Holley's accelerator pump pulls fuel from the bottom of the fuel bowl where as the Edelbrock/Carters pull accelerator pump fuel 1/2" or so up from the bottom of the fuel bowl. So when the Eddie carbs percolate and loose fuel you have to crank to fill the bowl up before the accelerator pump gets fuel. The Holley accelerator pump will typically have fuel right away after sitting for a few days.

-
Back