hotchkis tubular upper control arm ball joint too big?

-

jcarr210

Reaction score
So I picked up a 67 valiant with a 340 and I also got the hotchkis tvs kit. The upper arms went on fine but wheni went to stab the upperball into the steering knuckle I noticed the stud. Was way thicker. I went to a parts store and when they looked up the correct ball joint iand it is the smaller thinner one I have on the factory upper control arm. What am I missing here? Did hotchkis just install the wrong upper ball joint in the arm or is there a steering knuckle for the smaller and one for the thicker ball joint studs. Thanks. I've attached a pic of the hotchkis arm installed with the factory arm turned upside down to see the difference in thickness of ball joint stud

Attachments

• 2015-03-14-12-13-16.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 288
the large ball joints were used on the 73 and newer a body cars...I'm sure Hotchkiss would exchange those for the small ball joint arms...

Nope. all of their TVS's come with Large Upper Ball Joints as they assume you've already swapped them over (generally more handling based cars use larger ball joints for disc brakes). However, if you really wanted to, you could request a small ball joint arm. They're usually good with customer service. Give them a call and see if they'll exchange it to you.

This is what you need...
http://www.hotchkis.net/product/geo...-small-balljoints/?mk=40&yr=1967&md=300&sm=39

Ha ha i wish I would have known this before tearing the car apart. This kit came with the car when i bought it. I'm new here and have gotten a ridiculous amount of help anytime I've had a question. I really appreciate it as always

So if i wanted to just keep the larger ball joints id just pick up the steering knuckle off a 73 and up?

That would work but the larger knuckles use different brake rotors. You can have your knuckle machined to accept the larger ball joint.

-
Back