house fire

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
My in-law's house was gutted yesterday. Ma was home and taking a nap, Dad was in Houston on business. Grandma said on the phone that God woke up Ma from her nap by telling her to get out of the house. She heard these words! Ain't God grand?

Right now the Red Cross is putting them up, but it's bad enough Ma wasn't allowed back into the house until today. Dad will be home tonight, but late. The insurance adjuster has been there already.

What sucks, besides loosing a lot, is my wife sitting here looking at the story seeing the house she grew up in, up in smoke. That and Dad's been doing a lot of renovating lately, looking forward to retirement. (And no, preliminary investigation says it wasn't his renovations...)

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=868405

My in-law's house was gutted yesterday. Ma was home and taking a nap, Dad was in Houston on business. Grandma said on the phone that God woke up Ma from her nap by telling her to get out of the house. She heard these words! Ain't God grand?

Right now the Red Cross is putting them up, but it's bad enough Ma wasn't allowed back into the house until today. Dad will be home tonight, but late. The insurance adjuster has been there already.

What sucks, besides loosing a lot, is my wife sitting here looking at the story seeing the house she grew up in, up in smoke. That and Dad's been doing a lot of renovating lately, looking forward to retirement. (And no, preliminary investigation says it wasn't his renovations...)

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=868405

Sorry to here about that fire dude....but..... everyone is okay...... and yes, god is grand..............

Very sorry to hear about this, Robert, but happy to learn everyone is alright. Hopefully insurance claim will get them back into something they like. My prayers are with you.

So sorry Robert, they must have lived right though with God waking her up. Hopefully they will get something soon that wont need renovations. Prayers are with you and the family.

Terrible thing to have happen, but sure glad everyone is OK.
Hopefully the insurance is good enough they may be able to rebuild on the same property and include all of their planned renovations in the rebuild.

Sorry to hear this. I can't even imagine all the things that just can't be replaced and the memories that have gone up in smoke. Thank God everyone was OK.

Very sorry to hear this Robert.At least everyone is ok.Hope the insurance comes through fast.

Wow, this is in my neck of the woods. Scary stuff! But like like Mopardude said, a house is replaceable. Despite the frustration of losing all the renovation work, etc., what's most important are the memories made there.
Hoping for the best for your family; best of luck to them in such a trying time.

Thanks, everyone.

I guess Ma is still running on adrenalin. So much to do, but where to start kind of thing.

If I know my father-in-law he's got the best insurance out there, so rebuilding shouldn't be an issue. Even replacing some of the items won't be that hard, Ma and Dad both are pretty meticulous record keepers. (It's rubbed off Sarah and I. The movie collections, the library, most of our replaceable items are cataloged to make it easier on a claim if we have one.)

I agree with everyone that the most important thing is that they are safe and that the possessions can be replaced. What hit my wife last night was this simple statement she made: "the house I grew up in won't be the same house..." Yeah, the memories will be the hardest thing about this. They've been in that house for almost 30 years now.

when something like that happens , it gives a person a helpless feeling. just thank god that there are places like the red cross that will help in a time of need. i hope all the best for them.

This is a bad situation,but later on you will see it was for the best.Dont know why but,this too shall pass.Let us know how they are doing.

Let us know how they are doing.

The adjuster was in for a face to face today. Water damage was the biggest hit. No surprise there. All the electronics are wiped. The piano might not be salvageable. The adjuster told Ma to give up on her very extensive collection of antiques books..wrong move. Those they are going to try to save as best they can.

Right now I guess it's where they go from here: cut the check and hire the contractors. It's the family items they are trying to get through. Even my sister in law is turning human in this. Guess there is some good to come out of it...

Robert, I am so very sorry for your loss. Thank God that your parents got out and no one was hurt. I was there only 2 short years ago when I lost my home to fire. Difference for me was that we were renting and did not have insurance. We lost everything except the Duster. Here is a picture of my home after the fire two years ago. Stay strong and keep the faith, your parents are going to need a lot of support to get their lives rebuilt. My family and I will be praying for you all.

My prayers go out to you and your wife and her family Robert, I could not even start to imagine the effects this would have on me, But I know it would be very hard
Give them all the support and love that you can and thank god they are still with you

OUCH Robert!!!!

As mentioned, I'm thankfull all human and animal life is unharmed!!

Sorry, Kim, sometimes the dislike comes through. There are reasons behind it, but those are really her reasons, not mine. I just don't like the way she treats her parents and my wife. For her to step up and help as much as she's helping though...guess she's realizing there's more in this world than just her.

Robert, I am so very sorry for your loss. Thank God that your parents got out and no one was hurt. I was there only 2 short years ago when I lost my home to fire. Difference for me was that we were renting and did not have insurance. We lost everything except the Duster. Here is a picture of my home after the fire two years ago. Stay strong and keep the faith, your parents are going to need a lot of support to get their lives rebuilt. My family and I will be praying for you all.

Thanks, DM. My in-laws will appreciate the prayers. They belong to a tight church and apparently the church has already rallied to help with a recovery party in sorting through things to see what's salvageable.

It's really too bad you can post about shared experiences. I remember reading about you having a house fire once or twice before on here. I've had small fires in the past, nothing that a little calm and level headedness couldn't take care of, but I can't imagine the feeling of helplessness this must bring.

I understand about renting. Right now the wife and I are renting where we're at until we can get some credit problems straightened around and get the down payment saved for. But the $16.42 a month we're spending on renters' insurance is one strong piece of mind. It may not replace the building itself, but we're covered on contents, a place to stay until a new place can be had, even the deposit on a new place. Can't beat that.

My prayers go out to you and your wife and her family Robert, I could not even start to imagine the effects this would have on me, But I know it would be very hard
Give them all the support and love that you can and thank god they are still with you

The more prayers, the merrier, Mike. We all appreciate it.

The home owners' insurance has kicked in. The in-laws have a hotel room provided by the insurance company until the house is rebuilt. I guess the floor plans have already been gone over and decided upon, too, as the insurance company is ready to rebuild. The new house will be the exact same as the old one, but with modern updates, of course! The old house was built in the '50s, so bringing things like insulation, wiring, plumbing, etc up to today's standards will be a plus for Ma and Dad to live out the retirement years. I guess Dad will have the all the renovations done, but with someone else providing the labor! :cheers:

-
Back