House Horror: 7-4-10

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Yeah.... it's becoming that. Every %$#@#$% thing I touch turns into another $200 detour. And I thought the `Cuda was a project! We had planned on moving in this weekend and I'm disappointed to say, *maybe* the end of July. Most likely the beginning of August. And the `Cuda is sitting with a dead battery under an 1/8" of dust.....

Here's a fast shot of the most recent update:
House_42410011-vi.jpg

Before

House_62710003-vi.jpg

After

Now make a deck grow off the back of the house.... :-D

Have a Happy 4th. gang. I'll be putting up a ceiling today.
House_61310006-vi.jpg

Amy doing demolition work. God I love her!

Been there my friend. Ours is a Jim Walter home built in 92 and still not finished.
Lots of stories I could tell but one comes to mind that may help. See I have a wonderful wife too. Back when...
She pulled an aluminum step ladder to her and out from under a hanging light fixture as they grow a little taller when folding. The ladder pinched a nipple hard ! She was a PTA ( purple tit association ) member for about 3 weeks. Yall please be careful.

Yup hang in there.When we bought this house I knew it would be a money pit but not that soon.In the house 8 weeks,furnace went 3 grand,year laiter basement leak 2 grand to fix,same year ants in 1 wall 500 to fix.I can go on but,looks like your geting there,my first project was a patio door now that was cool.In your pic be sure to cap it well so no leaks you allready know that I am sure but a friendly reminder always helps.Good luck.

Dude,

You got a keeper in your girlfriend, keep up the good work, it'll all be over soon.

The sides of the patio door are weather-sealed with what looks like strips of Dyno-mat. Plus there's aluminum flashing over the top. Not to mention silicone sealant and tar paper. We installed that SOB assembled as we didn't want dimensions screwed up with just the frame being moved around. It must have weighed 400lbs.
House_62610011-vi.jpg

The amount of light in the dining room is dramatic difference.

House_62710001-vi.jpg

It's a Pella with the built-in blinds between the glass. We can't wait until we're steps away from a BBQ grill year round. We figure a 12' X 15' deck should be big enough for a grill, table, and a 1/2 dozen chairs. We'll finalize those plans when we get there.

After the ceiling is done we'll have the floors sanded. There's beautiful Parkay style wood floors on the ground floor that's going to look great. Then as soon as I get the veneer to re-face the cabinets we'll be moving along.

<sigh....> Then I start over getting our current place shaped-up for re-sale.....
As for now, we're off to Lowes, our current home away from home.

Looks good,the 12x15 deck you will like.When I built my deck 12x12 at fitst I thought that was just enough,well guess what nope put a table on there with 4 chairs and the Q,and a few buddies to tight.So a year laiter build anouther deck one step down from the 12x12,2 tear now 12x10 lots of room now.I just got done building a 12x16 for my oldest daughter nice size.One advice I would like to give you booth is,when ever doing something else step back and think it through real good.PS I like the door witch way does it face North,south? You are going to flash the sides of the door right?What I did was nailed preasure treated 2x4 all around it nailed it to the sideing than flash it.

Glad to see you got the slider in,it makes for easy access when bbqing.Now about the Cuda(1/8 dust ?)I scored a 4-star car cover for my 66 Dart off of e-bag for $35.It,s not an expensive one,but works for the cause.Good luck with the deck.:-D

My deck is 11x22 stepdown from widow and a 6x11 triangle at the backdoor

july 029.jpg

This house thing is becoming fun, except for when I start thinking "details" and my Wife get's annoyed. I had to paint the sewer vent grating after Amy painted the foundation. So I wire wheel it, degrease it, prime and paint it with epoxy paint and mounted it with a stainless steel allen head bolt and brass washer and stainless steel lock washer. My wife looked at it and asked me to please work on the house and not build it for a judged event.
House_7410008-vi.jpg

But we did get the ceiling up in the living room and installed a 52" ceiling fan.

Before:
House_7410013-vi.jpg

After:
House_7510014-vi.jpg

We also changed the light fixtures in the dining room and kitchen. I only zapped myself once. Now we can pull up the old carpet and have the floor re-finishers come in and give us a quote. The kitchen is next as I just located a source for wood veneer to re-face my cabinets. That will be next weekends project.

We're really hoping to be in by August at this point.

Only zapped your self once?? Get back in there and play with some more wires.....

Hate to be the bearer of bad news John, but, I see a siding job in your future as well. LOL

Looking good so far.

Jack

Yeah, I know. I had the house pressure washed to get the crud off, and most of the paint went with it. Besides, it's about 35 yrs. old has already been discussed and is on the "next-year" project list.

I better open up the yard shop and start hustling some coin. There's a LOT of Nissan's and Infiniti's out here that can use my services.
8)

-
Back