How 2 remove speedo gear

-

challengergary

Reaction score
My speedo stopped working the other day and I have determined that my speedo gear is not working right. I have a new cable but it is simply not spinning when driving. I guess need to remove & replace the gear in the tranny. Are there any tricks to doing this? Do I need a drain pan handy?

All I did was get the back of my car higher then the front so the tail shaft of the tranny was higher than the front, removed the speed-o cable, took the bolt out holding the gear in, and it came right out with a little wiggling.

All I did was get the back of my car higher then the front so the tail shaft of the tranny was higher than the front, removed the speed-o cable, took the bolt out holding the gear in, and it came right out with a little wiggling.

That just about sums it up!

put the gear back in the same position.if you don't, it wont work. look at the position( numbers and slots) and put it back on the same marks.

put the gear back in the same position.if you don't, it wont work. look at the position( numbers and slots) and put it back on the same marks.

He's right. The gear housing is held in with a bracket similar to a dist. hold down. It's got to be in the same position.
Word of warning, DON'T lose the little steel pin in the upper end of the plastic gear. I did and spent 2 unsuccessful years trying to find a replacement.

Oh, the gears are color coded depending on the rearend ratio. Make sure get the same color.

-
Back