How About Building Me A 318

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I will be picking up a complete 79 truck 318 motor likely needing a rebuild that got left at the machine shop. This motor will be going in my 47 Dodge sedan with a 42RH, 71 B body 8.75 and 3.55 gears. There will be NO racing just cruising, local shows and a couple of long distance shows. For eye candy I intend to top the motor with a D66 I’ve acquired from another member with correct rebuilt carbs, with jets suited for a 318, and correct progressive linkage.
imagejpeg_0.jpeg

My intentions are to rebuild/replace parts as necessary. please don’t tell me to go with a 340/360! i’d be perfectly happy cruising around with the 318 with the dual quads. I do intend on changing the crank to a forged unit I have on hand along with a set of full floating rods I saved from a 72 truck. Other than that, build me a reasonable 318 for my 47.

It's sounds like a fairly stock build it's mainly down to cam choice maybe heads if your willing to go that way. I'd get CR up to 8.8-9:1 range a cam in the 210-215 range, and head choice for hp level stock heads under 300 hp ported above or a set of 360/340 or speedmaster etc.. get you somewhere 325-375 hp depend what's done.

A hughes cam, 2.02/1.60 valves three angle valve job and open the bowls up, a set of higher compression pistons and you should be good. A roller cam block would be better tho

You will have plenty of power and killer looks to get down the road.

A good 5 angle valve/seat job and minor porting/ gasket match with a suitable rv cam will get you there. A thumper or whiplash cam will get you the attention the car deserves.

Happy hot rodding.

You will have plenty of power and killer looks to get down the road.

A good 5 angle valve/seat job and minor porting/ gasket match with a suitable rv cam will get you there. A thumper or whiplash cam will get you the attention the car deserves.

Happy hot rodding.
this would be my plan of attack as well. on the heads just good valve job, mild work with the grinder.

go mellow with some pistons to get something in the 9.5 comp ratio so maybe KB167's?

keep it hydro on the cam and an RV style grind would give you maybe a semblance of fuel economy on the highway but with some grunt.

round it out with some headers in the search for some more useable low and midrange power.

My kinda guy, Use what ya got. Nothing wrong with a 318.
I put my car together for the same reason. 318,free,904,free,intake, carb free. Suspension parts with new leaf springs were from left over unused from different project cars. Many other parts from years of building Mopars.
Car was a left over parts car. Use what ya got for sure.

this would be my plan of attack as well. on the heads just good valve job, mild work with the grinder.

go mellow with some pistons to get something in the 9.5 comp ratio so maybe KB167's?

keep it hydro on the cam and an RV style grind would give you maybe a semblance of fuel economy on the highway but with some grunt.

round it out with some headers in the search for some more useable low and midrange power.
Me, myself and I would go for more compression if the cam chosen has enough overlap to bleed off a lower dynamic compression.

Okay, let's keep it as 318 as possible, meaning 318 heads. So use KB167 pistons and "302" casting heads. Keep the heads pretty simple, 1.88/1.60 valves, bowl blend, narrow the guide bosses and port match to the intake you already have. Maybe a 30 degree back cut on the intake valves if you use OEM style replacements. And, if you want to keep it really retro, a solid lifter cam like a Schneider T132-F, or even a Comp 270S. Short tube headers, if they'll fit in the engine compartment, or large outlet Magnum manifolds if they won't. In a light car like that, a factory high-stall 904 converter should be adequate. Keeping it simple.

Why the push for high CR on a mild build, the guy wants a cruzer not a pinging mess.

Keep the short block stock. Machine as necessary to keep in spec. Keep your existing heads for the hard seats. Do a good valve job. Run some shorty headers to fit. Spend your money on a GOOD cam to suit the combo you have. I agree with Junkyard on the RV type deal. Fine tune the ignition when done. No need for compression on your cruiser. This way you'll be able to run any junk swill you encounter. Not every state has the luxury of 93 plus octane. A good cam will give decent grunt to get going.

-
Back