How am I gonna get this thing to pass tech?

-

hemifish69

Dain bramaged Hemi freak
Reaction score
:downtown: At some point, I want to make a pass down the track. Where can I get info on what I have to do before this thing gets on the 1320? You know, how the trunk battery has to be tied down, how much rubber tubing total allowed in fuel sys, etc. PS just had to use the downtown smile, that sunday school over there called moparts would never allow that!!!!!

if you have a track close by, I would take it down and let them tech inspect it
they will tell you what you need to do.

12" of rubber total in the fuel system for connections only, fuel cell must have .032 shield to cover the bottom of tank to deflect rocks and debris, 3/8" bolts or studs to hold down the battery with a suitable plate over the top. This can be as narrow as 1/2" as long as the bolt has enough to hold the strap. All cables and fuel lines must be shielded around the transmission incase of failure by 1/8 wall tubing 6" in front and behind with trans break. 3/8" steel line permitted front to rear with unions. Carb must be covered with a air cleaner or hood scoop to stop the spray of fuel on the car. All cars with rear mounted battery must have a on/off switch located on the rear of vehicle accessable to track officials. Fuel regulators and fuel lines not permitted on fire wall. All cars with slicks must have saftey loop 6" from the center of the front u-joint center, all cars must have seat belts, factory belts with factory seats, any aftermarket seats must have 5 way harness either floor or roll cage mount. All shifters must have reverse lock out and a nuetral saftey switch in operation, car can not start in any gear but park or nuetral. Seat belts are good for 2 years max when aftermarket seats are installed. Roll bar manditory at 12.99 et 1/4 7.35 1/8, roll cage manditory at 10.99 1/4 or 6.99 1/8. Driver must be protected from roll bar with foam padding around the driver, (arms and head) Fire protective clothing required at 7.49 1/8 and 11.99 1/4 single layer jacket, 3 layer jacklet and pants required at 6.30 1/8 and 9.90 1/4 along with shoes and gloves. A full face helmet and arm restraints required at 8.90 1/4 and 5.70 1/8 snell 90 or better. All cars must have wheel studs through the lugnuts as far as the width of the lug, 7/16 means that you must have 7/16" thread through the lug. This should help you out if you need more info just ask.

BJR Racing

what kind of time do ya think it will run? If your a mild street car around 13-14 sec. a helmet, no more than 12" rubber fuel hose, BJR Racing spelled it out, but if you are a first timer and not running past 13 sec. the track will tell you what the rules are ,then probly let you run that day,then for the next time(there will be a next time)they will tell you what to do.Basicly if it looks like its safe they will let you run that day unless you run 11or 12 sec range, then the track might have a talk with you. most tracks are easy going with first timers couse they what you to come back.

The speed and track determines what you need to run. The NHRA or IHRA both print the rule books, and tell everyting you need. I'm guessing Hemi A body? So, most of what BJR applies. A few things...and I'm not sure what ET determines what, but things they could check..Harmonic balancer, flew plate, trans shield, and belts all need SFI tags, and are dated. Blowshields also require this, and cannot have any modification to them. The drvei shaft loop is for the front ujoint, so it's 6" back from the front..Your helmet must be SNELL rated 2000 or newer, your on/off switch must be clearly marked as to which is which ("push for off" or the on and off sides marked)Aftermarket axles required with spools, wheel studs must protrude fully thru the wheel, and lug nuts should be open type for them to check this. Cage may need to be certified if it has one, and goes fast enough, also, the biggest failure next to helmets...you must have 2 return springs on your carburetor...the one on the shaft doesnt count. Oh, almost forgot..coolant overflow must be present..

Anybody know if the fuel pump can be inside the trunk when running a fuel cell? I plan on blocking off the trunk area as per NHRA, but can't remember if it was allowed to mount the pump inside or not.

Is the car a mostly stock body. I mean my sons Dart is basically all stock stuff for tech. It has run 11.59 and has the stock fuel tank and fuel line. We mounted an electric fuel pump in front of the gas tank under the car and just bolted on a homemade driveshaft loop. But to be honest we just run at T & T's mostly and they usually dont even look under the car or under the hood. Just last Saturday we ran a T & T and they actually tech the cars right in the staging lanes and did not even look them over. I guess what I am saying is if your car looks stock and has stock fuel line and all unless it runs below 12's they may just check your helmet and give it a quick look over. I guess because my sons Dart looks so stock they dont even check it over to well. Ron

23504975.jpg

If there is a fuel cell in the trunk, the pump can be in there too..The reason? You need an aluminum firewall behind the rear seat to run the cell, and it needs to be vented outside the body (out thru the floor).

Also the fire wall must be .032 or thicker. But make sure that the speaker vents are covered too.

BJR Racing

How are you supposed to seal the wall where the roll bar goes through?

BJR Racing said:
Roll bar manditory at 12.99 et 1/4
I believe NHRA just changed the roll bar requirement from 11.99 sec to 11.49 sec. At least that is what I've read on other forums. Can anyone confirm that?

I know at the "local" track, that is correct..Now the limit is 11.49. You seal teh thing with seam sealer, although I dont think they would hassle if the cage and bars fit well and didnt have big gaps around them.

GotDart said:
I believe NHRA just changed the roll bar requirement from 11.99 sec to 11.49 sec. At least that is what I've read on other forums. Can anyone confirm that?

Yep you'r right they did just change this this year, and it's 7.35 1/8 and 11.49 1/4. Where did you get the Old Style Beer? in houston? I'm from Wisconsin and know where it's brewed, at least in one place!

BJR Racing

As far as seat belts go, do you have to have the lap and shoulder belts in the car or can you go with just the lap belts? I only have lap belts in my car and I will probably take it to the track next summer.

-
Back