How And Why Move Emulsion Jets?

-
Thanks @TT5.9mag & @mderoy340 these are the conversations I copy and save to my phone for future reference. Much appreciated.
There is a lot of good information on emulsion tuning on a few sites if you search it.
racingfuelsystems-Emulsion Tuning
And
emulsion stack Holley Carbs
And
Holley Carburetor Emulsion - Don Terrill’s Speed-Talk

But in all reality getting in to your carb and making changes then driving the car to see how the engine reacted to the change has been by far the best way for me to learn.

And again there is a "seemingly" modern metering block design and the IFRs are still at the top. I just have many questions. Like, if you move the IFRs to the bottom, do you need to plug the top holes? And WHY do they use "only" one pair of emulsion jets? And would "more" emulsion jets be beneficial? And WHY? And how do you tune for those? What symptoms do you look for to tell you which way to tune the emulsion jets......and on and on. LOL

Because it’s industry standard now. The IFR MUST have a head over it or idle AFR is horribly unstable.

Just like power valve timing and tuning, it’s been wrong so long they just keep doing it.

As an aside, I installed a new Brawler on a guy I went to HS with today. I said don’t bolt it on until we look at it.

Brawlers were notorious for high IFR’s, massive emulsion and some crazy bleed sizes.

I was more than surprised that this carb (5 days old, fresh out of the box) had an .028 IFR and it was LOW (that’s a bonus for my fat hairy *** as its way less work if I don’t have to move them) AND it had 2 emulsion holes at .028, not like some of them with 4 emulsion holes all wide open and .032 holes.

I didn’t get to do a deep tune on it, but when his BBC goes in I’m going to dyno and tune it.

So maybe Holley got their collective butt out of their *** and made a production change.

If they did that makes the Brawler an even better deal.

And again there is a "seemingly" modern metering block design and the IFRs are still at the top. I just have many questions. Like, if you move the IFRs to the bottom, do you need to plug the top holes? And WHY do they use "only" one pair of emulsion jets? And would "more" emulsion jets be beneficial? And WHY? And how do you tune for those? What symptoms do you look for to tell you which way to tune the emulsion jets......and on and on. LOL

Because it’s industry standard now. The IFR MUST have a head over it or idle AFR is horribly unstable.

Just like power valve timing and tuning, it’s been wrong so long they just keep doing it.

As an aside, I installed a new Brawler on a guy I went to HS with today. I said don’t bolt it on until we look at it.
The new stuff is junk. The original Holley's were correctly designed that's why they have 2 emulsion bleeds. I have it from good authority that a properly sized Holley for the engines HP range only requires 2.

The IFR jet at the bottom of the block is immersed in fuel and therefore meters fuel correctly. The IFR at the top will meter fuel and air and will be inconsistent. Where do original Holley's have the jet?

I thinks its just the limitaion of the design. If you look at how Carter does emulsion they use a tube and place the emulsion holes around the tube so as to prevent the air coalescing and causing slugging flow where slugs of air and slugs of fuel leave the booster. The question then is which cylinder gets the fuel and which cylinder gets the air.

You want to limit how much air you use in in the main well to prevent slugging flow. If you watch any Holley slow motion dyno vid you will see a pulsing action coming from the booster. That pulsating flow is a function of emulsion. It does the same thing on a wet flow bench. These myths that emulsion is designed to atomize the fuel is exactly that MYTH!

DAMN. Just damn. This post and your first post in this thread should be made stickies.

Brawlers were notorious for high IFR’s, massive emulsion and some crazy bleed sizes.

I was more than surprised that this carb (5 days old, fresh out of the box) had an .028 IFR and it was LOW (that’s a bonus for my fat hairy *** as its way less work if I don’t have to move them) AND it had 2 emulsion holes at .028, not like some of them with 4 emulsion holes all wide open and .032 holes.

I didn’t get to do a deep tune on it, but when his BBC goes in I’m going to dyno and tune it.

So maybe Holley got their collective butt out of their *** and made a production change.

If they did that makes the Brawler an even better deal.
Do they sell the metering blocks from that carb separate?

-
Back