how are 3500 stall conveters sopasto act

-

a-bodytom

Reaction score
how are 3500 stall conveters sopasto act i just put a hues conveter in the duster it goes too 2000 befor it takes off i dont realy care forit

if its the case it mite be coming out i want to go when i hit the gas not just sit ther for a second befor it grabs and feall like im getin punched in the chest not fun and not drive able

sory my spelling is not the best

I've never seen a converter do that. Are you sure the trans. is good? Sounds like the clutch pack isn't engaging until you get the rpm up then it slams in.

In your first post I read like your saying it does nothing until all of a sudden after you get the revs up it grabs like you dump a clutch on a stick shift. Am I reading it wrong? If that's what it's doing something's wrong with something cause no converter will act that way. It should take off smooth. Not jerk. Jerking is generally a problem with a clutch pack not engaging. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's right either. I have been rebuilding torqueflites for over 25 yrs. and you wouldn't believe some of the screwed up crap rebuilds I've seen.

The converter allows the engine to get into the cams power band before the car moves. Kind of like a slipping clutch. Sounds to me that it is normal for a 3500 stall. Which is in the higher rpm band.

how many inch converter is it? my 9 1/2" felt pretty close to a stock converter on the street until ya really nailed it. and that was a 3800 stahl.

ya theres nothin rong with it i just dont like the porr mpg and when i stomp the gass it just dont put ya in the seet like it did with the other conveter

ya theres nothin rong with it i just dont like the porr mpg and when i stomp the gass it just dont put ya in the seet like it did with the other conveter

sounds like there is something not right somewhere. that thing should hit harder with a loser converter in it when you nail it. rpm should jump right into the power range of the cam and the car should just get up and go. something almost sounds like its slipping too much to me.

i know with the 9.5" converter in my car just cruising it felt like a stock converter but if you nailed it the car felt like it got shot out a cannon. it was awesome the way that baby worked.

A high stall should feel like you have a slipping clutch at lower RPM's and not like you are dumping the clutch. If it feels like you are dumping the clutch then you have a Tranny problem, low fluid, or whoever built it messed something up.

The big question would be what cam, intake and gears do you have?

If your engine is not set up for high RPM's then you don't need a 3500 stall, that's a big stall for the street and made for cams with an RPM range of 3300 or higher. If your engine has a lower RPM range then it will not feel right because the converter will be slipping during the engines power range.

In another thread you were spitting out tranny fluid. Are you sure your tranny is full?

Also... In post #8 you mention poor gas milage. When you move on to a 3500 stall converter it's time to stop thinking about gas milage.

On a side note... From post #1. "Sorry my spelling is not the best"

Trust me... I know how you feel. I did well in school, but had a "special" spelling class in 5th grade. My spelling still sucks. I don't know why and at this point in my life, I don't care.

Do like I do. Type everything in a program with a spell checker then copy/paste on the forum. Or just keep doing what you are doing and not worry about it. We are here for A-Bodies, not grammar and spelling correction.

ya thanks s340 um well i talked to a couple some say that somethings wrong some say its OK and some say its good but i think its still slower then before plus the trans got to come out to really fix the vent in the trans cause i don't like rigging **** so i think I'm just gonna put the other converter in and another i don't like the vibration of the new b&m 360 904 flex plate so just some things ya know

its a 10in hughes performance 3500 stall its a $540 converter i drive it a 1/2 mile the big *** trans cooler is soo hot you cant touch it i half think somethin is def wrong idk i dont like that and heat kills transmishons soo i dont want to ruin the new trans ya know

I can't remember your build but with a 3500 stall (depending on build) you could be giving up some of your useable RPM and your car could be slower.

Hummm... Lets see. First the vent is plugged and gets jury rigged to fix it. Now the converter grabs like your dumping a clutch (and of course that's a converter, not anything to do with clutch packs not engaging properly). And now you have a vibration from the B&M flexplate (which don't generally happen). Wow!!! Can't say it enough.

JUNK TRANSMISSION. Sheesh!!

is your kickdown adjusted right?

i know when i got my car back together the first time it felt like the trans was slipping, wouldn't do anything in low rpm. Then the trans. guy helped adjust the kickdown and it worked fine after that.

well i think it was def the trans cuse i dont got secnond gear im tird of brakin **** this is the second trans this month both 904s

im diped in good luck lol just kiddin it was a new trans i just bought from my frend that he baught 2 years ago from tci it was still in the rapper when i got it a new b&m flex plate and a used hues converter i just fuegered it was the used part ya know

i think fishy68 hit it on the money my frends 68 340 baracuda has the same vibation and his trans is junk the pump went up and that trans dont go in gear sooo

I think it's time for a new transmission man! A 3500 on the street is going to generate more heat than a lower stall converter. And if your running a some what high gear ratio like 3.23, that will only make the trans slip more.

I think it's time for a new transmission man! A 3500 on the street is going to generate more heat than a lower stall converter. And if your running a some what high gear ratio like 3.23, that will only make the trans slip more.

I agree a new tranny is needed.

3:23 gears and a 3500 stall do not belong in the same car. That would be completely miss matched.

sounds like you know what you need to do. put it together with what works with a new trans.

I agree a new tranny is needed.

3:23 gears and a 3500 stall do not belong in the same car. That would be completely miss matched.

That depends on the converter and how efficent it is. Converter technogly has come a long way. You should see djvcuda's car. It has about a 3500 stahl and 3.23 gears. Drives like a stock converter when your just cruising. At the track it acts like a high stahl. It's a dynamic 9.5".

i was drivin it to day and it goes in 1st 2nd 3rd got coures about the looks of the trans fluid its dark like it got hot and broke down and my friend told me that you have to chang the fluid after the first 500miles for the bands because everything is brand new so im thinkin since it looks im takin the trans out any way im gona take the converter out wile the trans is out im gona fix the the vent adjust the bands inspect it take the acomulater spring out im gona realy look at it good never looked at what tci used as far as bands and parts

Sorry but your friend is wrong about having to change the fluid after just 500 miles. there's a major issue with the trans. or it wouldn't have burned up the fluid in that short a time. I've rebuilt numerous transmissions (Mopars and GM's) over the past 28 yrs. and never once had to change the fluid after a short period like that. My guess is who ever rebuilt it screwed something up and it has the clutch plates and/or bands burned up already. Sorry to give you bad news but I just want you to be informed correctly.

That depends on the converter and how efficent it is. Converter technogly has come a long way. You should see djvcuda's car. It has about a 3500 stahl and 3.23 gears. Drives like a stock converter when your just cruising. At the track it acts like a high stahl. It's a dynamic 9.5".

If you have an engine that turns the RPM's that require you to use a 3500 stall then you would have gears between 4:30's - 4:88's 3500 stall converters were designed for engines that have a power range of 3300-8000 RPM so the engine's RPM would be at the beginning of it's power range when you leave the line. If your engine's power range is lower than that, you are wasting horsepower with a 3500 stall and creating more unnecessary heat because the converter is slipping when the engine wants to go.

If his car runs good with that set up then it would run even better if the converter and gears were matched to his engines power range.

true that the trans is not burnd up i took the vavle body off took the front pump off cleard the vent checked all clutchs all were good tci put a junk second gear band in it i tosted it but the trans has front clutch pack five clutchs good and a low gear set in it another + right so i replased seconed gear band and im goin with the other conveter so im goin to try this i think im gona be plesed with it

-
Back