How are you tieing down your car in your enclosed trailer

General Discussion

1. Ddaddy

Ddaddy I'm changing the World... one pixel at a time! FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:44 AM
    Whether the vehicle tie downs are crossed or uncrossed doesn’t matter when it comes to load shifting.. If one side breaks, the other side can become slack. It’s just which way that changes.

I like crossed since there’s less loading per unit length of strap/chain than with uncrossed. A longer strap experiences less strain per inch than a shorter one. Crossed straps are inherently longer and therefore experience less load per length.

That said, they can stretch more too...which is why if they are straps rather than chains, they need to be checked for correct tension frequently while traveling to make sure they haven’t stretched and become loose.

2. Dfr360cuda

Dfr360cuda MAGA Again

Local Time:
    Yes, I understood he meant tie downs.
    I was looking around the wide world web and found that. The tie downs, I didn't find anything but opinions. I do remember when I used a U Haul trailer it didn't have anything other than the basket straps and they didn't recommend straps on the rear.
    I did however put my own straps on the rear. Can't remember which way.

3. Dfr360cuda

Dfr360cuda MAGA Again

Local Time:
  4. 70aarcuda

70aarcuda Master Hoader of SBM FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    12:44 AM
    With tie down straps....next question?

5. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Here's the thing.......I've had guys even claim that "it's the law" (to cross ties) and I've never seen anything says so.

If you strap/ bind them inline or close to that front to rear, and either front or either rear comes loose, then the other three will hold things tight It cannot move front to rear, and with relatively short chains, there's not enough radius for it to walk one way or other

But if you cross them, as on the rear, and one rear comes loose/ breaks, not only can the car walk sideways, but there's enough radius if that's the word---to allow the strap/ chain to "swing" and allow the fronts to walk the car forward or backwards. This happened to a friend of mine, and while it did not do a LOT of damage, it did damage the car as it hit the fenders on the trailer.

6. nm9stheham

nm9stheham Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I know you won't like to hear this, but that is incorrect. The force is constant throughout the whole length, regardless of the length. There is no such things as load-spreading along a lengthwise support, loaded at the ends. (1st semester mechanical engineering.)

And if you have both straps or chains straight back, if one breaks, then the other cannot become slack if the restraints at the other end are tight. Del has it 100% right.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Ddaddy

Local Time:
      That assumes a rigid (no stretch) attachment like a chain or a bar. Straps are not rigid and have stretch. Therefore, they spread the load as the strap stretches with acute load changes and return to original tension if they have appropriate elasticity.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    • sireland67

sireland67 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      1/2 the time I am a lazy, just winch the car on the trailer, wrap a chain around the rear axle, and tighten the winch and go.
      Mostly just parts cars, because after fighting them to get them on the trailer, I just want to go home.
      I do watch the mirrors like a hawk on the way home, to look for movement, and check all tightness anytime I stop.
      I have not lost one yet, once in a while the winch cable will get a little slack. But most hauls are short distance, that I pick up local.

• 1969383S

1969383S FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      I put in E-Track and use bonnets on all four tires. Snap-in turtle straps. All the D-rings are unused. I feel better using these!

ADED2F93-ABBA-44E5-A441-61795F49EE34.jpeg

DA237902-81D2-4CE8-8ECA-B7A56E40663A.jpeg

36492FFF-1BE0-429B-AC3E-678A52C7110F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
      • Ddaddy

Local Time:
      • 1969383S

Local Time:
        Got the whole kit from E-trailer and just got the grade 8 bolts, nylock nuts and washers from Tractor Supply (best place for bulk hardware) and all fasteners for the E-track go through the frames rails.

• nm9stheham

Local Time:
        The force is constant from one end to the other and does not 'spread' or change versus length. Nor does the strain change IF the same force is achieved on the strap. If you think that you are getting less force on the longer strap, it is not due to any 'spreading' but due to putting less force on it period!

Stretch appears to be being confused with force and strain here. The stretch is the accumulated length changes due to the strain. If the same force and thus strain is achieved, then the stretch will be longer on the longer strap. Conversely, if the longer strap is stretched the same physical amount as a shorter strap, that is ONLY because a lower force and thus a lower strain is being applied.

BTW, the same applies for straps and bars and chains; they all have strain and stretch.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
      • nm9stheham

Local Time:
        I always use 1 or 2 chains around the rear axle too, and 2 come-alongs on the front. My tows are often 500-1000 miles each way. I want the car and trailer to stay together in a wreck, rather than the car coming at me through the back of the truck.

Just my IMHO, too many guys here are thinking just of keeping the car from moving around in normal driving and not thinking about emergencies. D rings are gonna rip right out of the floor of most trailers in a wreck.

• Ddaddy

Local Time:
        But the force of inertia in not constant, it is dynamic. That is where stretch comes into play.

• 70aarcuda

70aarcuda Master Hoader of SBM FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Last November...a racer came to Vegas from Idaho....they put the car in the enclosed trailer...put it in park and pull parking brake......they said car never moved...and went home the same way...

• 1969383S

Local Time:
        That just sounds stupid to me. My luck would be to open the tail and see the car upside down!

• Bad Cuda

Bad Cuda FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        This is the same kit I bought. Really stout, no worries about stretching or loosening. I bought the direct hook option to get the ratchet closer to the bed of the trailer. Made in USA!! Great quality... and no, I don't work there...

• Alaskan_TA

Alaskan_TA Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Here in PA, the safety chains for the trailer tongue have to cross.

Not the tie down straps.

• Alaskan_TA

Alaskan_TA Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I did too. Awesome to have the ratchet right on the D ring & not under the car, no more banged knuckles or scratched valance paint.

• Archeryguy02

Archeryguy02 Active Member

Local Time:
        Do you have his contact information? Does he have a website?

• ZMan67S

ZMan67S FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        2:44 AM
        It was a member here making and selling them. Look at post number 7 in this thread. This is who I bought them from. Work great!!

• Like Like x 1
        • Archeryguy02

Archeryguy02 Active Member

Local Time:
          Yah I found the post on BBodies only but couldn't contact him there. I found a member of the same name here and sent him a message but haven't heard anything.

• Jadaharabi

Jadaharabi FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          2:44 AM
          Nobody has had their car sideshift when going down a crowned road. Cross ties prevent this.

• mcodecuda

mcodecuda Senior Member

Local Time:
          If the straps are crossed then the D-rings in the floor get side loaded. It can also could side load parts of the strap or however the strap is attached to the car.

• 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          Disagree especially depending on the situation. If you have fairly short front/ rear ties, and one breaks, the load cannot shift very far simply because the straps/ chains are so short. But long crossed chains can do anything, an JUST ONE TIE can completely release any effective tie

Picture this..........Car is strapped crossed front and rear. One strap, front or rear becomes broke/ loose, whatever. The remaining strap can allow the load to "waltz" to one side which causes slack, and THEN it can move forward--in the case of a loose rear tie, and THEN the two crossed front ones don't have any control, front/rear/ side/ side.

You want SHORT ties front to rear. You could break one or two on one side, and the remaining two would prevent front / rear as well as excessive side-side movement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.