how bad is bad ?

-

DFootCuda

Reaction score
Well here are some photo's of my real rusty 340Cuda , the area around the door hinges and sill plates is real bad , floor panel is toast , heaterducts and windshield is rusty and has 3 holes windshield frame . Any advise is appreciated , is this car too far gone ? it is definately beyond my skill level .

Attachments

• barracuda 189.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 509
  • barracuda 185.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 491
  • barracuda 177.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 511
  • barracuda 176.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 500
  • barracuda 175.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 510
  • barracuda 178.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 492
You can never say never depending on what kind of money you want to spend (alot in this case) but that fallen warrior sadly looks like a parts car.

That is what i was afraid of , the more is strip this car the more depressed i get . Well i may have lots of Cuda parts for sale .

Is it a notch or fastback, 68 or 69? I would be interested in the dash cluster and bezel if you part it, also the front and rear stainless window trim. Looks like alot if work, shame to part it out, maybe try selling the whole car? Maybe someone else with more skills can save it, they don't make 340 Barracuda's anymore.

Is it a notch or fastback, 68 or 69? I would be interested in the dash cluster and bezel if you part it, also the front and rear stainless window trim. Looks like alot if work, shame to part it out, maybe try selling the whole car? Maybe someone else with more skills can save it, they don't make 340 Barracuda's anymore.
It is a 69 , F/B and i would love to save it . I am not wealthy is the problem ...lol . I am accepting all brilliant ideas .

if its the car you really want it might be worth it to have the sand or bakeing soda blasted then see were you are

.... but wait there is more .

Attachments

• barracuda 186.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 476
  • barracuda 187.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 469
  • barracuda 169.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 451
The big thing is what does the cross member look like and frame rails?
The frame rails look okay as far as i can tell , should i look for something in particular ? The cross member or K memebr ( under engine ) is bent a bit , will try to get photo's . The cross member area where transmission mounts is not too bad but havent really looked hard yet .

As my body guy once told me, damn near everything is fixable, you just have to throw enough $$ at it......

Cool, It is a 'Cuda 340 scoop car, should be saved. I would poke around the entire undercarriage, take more pics too. May be best to find another parts car and start cutting! Some stuff the make like patches for the frame and floor. The tough spots wilt the the cowl and door jam area. I bet you could post some want ads for metal too, have seen some decent darts and Valiants parted recently. If you are low on cash then you will need to learn how to do alot of work yourself, great learning process.

I will crawl under the car this weekend and start poking around . Are there spots i should be focusing on while under the car ?

Start poking around on all frame sections with a screwdriver and see if you blow through anywhere. Most of what you have in the picture can be replaced but it will take time, patience, parts and of course money.

I have a boat repair shop , I tell many of my cutomers that same thing " Any thing is fixable if you throw enough money at it " . Looks like that boomerang just landed at my feet .

I have a boat repair shop , I tell many of my cutomers that same thing " Any thing is fixable if you throw enough money at it " . Looks like that boomerang just landed at my feet .
But then you got to ask yourself is it worth it?? You will always get the people saying fix it, but they are not the ones that are going to have 4x as much invested as what it is worth........if you are capable of doing it all yourself, and have the time, it would be one thing.

donor car is a 69 also but it is real rough too .

Attachments

• barracuda 058.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 455
  • barracuda 053.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 447
  • barracuda 060.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 425
But then you got to ask yourself is it worth it?? You will always get the people saying fix it, but they are not the ones that are going to have 4x as much invested as what it is worth........if you are capable of doing it all yourself, and have the time, it would be one thing.
I can do all the mechanical but its the body work / welding which i am not so good ... but i would be much better after this car got finished ..lol

Start poking around on all frame sections with a screwdriver and see if you blow through anywhere. Most of what you have in the picture can be replaced but it will take time, patience, parts and of course money.
Will do this over the weekend and take more photo's .

man, nice car, but that could get very expensive. i have walked away from less. even big block b bodies. if you are prepared to basically rebuild the car, and have the cash ,it CAN be fixed. if you have the skills and a complete rust free parts car, then i would say go for it. having it blasted first of course, would give you a better idea of exactly how bad it is, but it looks ugly from here. frame rails are one thing but the cowl and door jam areas would all have to be rebuilt and/or replaced. i would take everything usable off of it and find you a nicer foundation. people called me crazy for spending 3000 bucks on a 6 cylinder duster, but the body is 99% rust free and am enjoying building it the way i want to.

Are both cars stored outside under a heavy plastic tarp? That is not helping the rust any, actually making it worse cause tarps trap moisture. Probably better to leave them uncovered, better yet, get them inside.

-
Back