how bad is this.?

-

Daniel J Thurston

Reaction score
I got a 70 duster project car and the shock tower thing on the passenger side is pulled away from the inner fender it dosent look like the frame is bent but its pulled the spot welds out of the engine bay sorry I dont know the name for the part but how bad of a problem is this and I would love any opinions on it thanks

20190607_142830.jpg

20190607_142820.jpg

20190607_142914.jpg

That's all solid metal but it needs to be put back in position and welded. It should center up the shock position too. I've seen much worse! Should be a pretty simple fix. 65'

I got a 70 duster project car and the shock tower thing on the passenger side is pulled away from the inner fender it dosent look like the frame is bent but its pulled the spot welds out of the engine bay sorry I dont know the name for the part but how bad of a problem is this and I would love any opinions on it thanks

View attachment 1715346108

View attachment 1715346109

View attachment 1715346111
Should not be to bad to fix by some one who knows what they are doing.
Looks good and solid, not rotted out.
I would check the other side.
After the repair is completed I would get the front end aligned.

that's why people used to drill a hole, and install a bolt with large fender washers, through the center of where the spot welds are and the inner fender to bolt them together

that's why people used to drill a hole, and install a bolt with large fender washers, through the center of where the spot welds are and the inner fender to bolt them together
Note to self: Reinforce this area before I put the new inner clip into my Cuda. :)

Thanks the otherside is still tight to the fender I will have to bend it back in to position and weld it up

Thanks all its great to be able to go here for help and get it from others who share our passion for old mopars thanks for the help
Dan

20190607_204731.jpg

I could be wrong.....since I am not standing right there, but it looks like what's happened to me is, the inner fender has been pushed away from the shock tower. Not the other way. You can even see a bow in the inner fender from the inside shot. Like the car was involved in an accident from that side and "all that" was pushed in toward the engine. Before I started pushing or pulling on the "wrong thing" I would certainly make sure first.

Easy fix, self tapping metal screws to put it back in place, and weld it flushed. Take screws out then jb weld the tiny holes, No biggie

Last edited:

View attachment 1715346108

View attachment 1715346109

View attachment 1715346111
By the looks of that rusty shock shaft could have seized & pulled the bracket down on rebound

Remove shock, draw it back together in original location temporarily with a self tapping screw. Drill some 3/8" holes in just the inner fender where spotwelds were holding the bracket originally. Rosette weld the 2 pieces back together. Remove self tapping screw, weld up screw hole. Grind smooth, prime, paint. Eazy peazy

-
Back