How can I tell

-

Dart swinger 73

Reaction score
1) When I bought my 73 dart the owner told me the engine was a 340. How can I tell the difference between a 318 and 340. The Edelbrock carb is trash. I don't know what size to replace it with. Carb has large secondary's. On the intake casting, is Edelbrock LD 340. Can't fine anything about that intake. Hope someone out there can help me.

2) What is the best wheel/tire size. I'm thinking 205/15 front. How big can I go in the rear. Rear end is a Dana 60. How do I measure the back space. Will a 10" tire clear on a 15x8 rim.

3) Planing to install Short Hugger Headers. All tips welcome.

4) If you only know 1 answer. Please reply with your answer. I need your :help:

Very easy. Look at the front of the block, driver side, immediately below the head/ block parting line. There should be a long number stamped there, and about the 2nd or 3rd digit or so, then the next three, will say 318, 340, 360

Also look on the side of the block for a raised casting no. will have the CID

Those might be hard to see, driver side of block up under the exhaust manifolds

Here:

http://www.mts.net/~hpokrant/Miscellaneous/Numbers/Numbers.htm

IMG_3421copy.jpg

Probably gonna need some rearend and wheelwell pics with
measurements to even guess on the tires.
Should say on the side of the block year and size.

I'll address the intake/carb Steve.

First you need to find out what engine you have, and if you have 273/318 small port style heads or 340/360 large port heads.

The LD340 intake is a great piece for the street with the 340/360 port heads. Very drivable and makes real good power between 2000/6000 rpm's. I'd keep it for sure as long as you have what was advertised to you.

As far as the carb, we're back to exactly what size engine you have? Since there is a Eddy already in place, I'd go right back to another since the setup/linkage is there now. As far as size, a 600cfm "Performer" would be a good all around driver carb. If you're looking for a more performance oriented unit, the 650cfm "Thunder Series" would be my choice.

I'll be watching to see what you come up with, good luck determining what you have going on.

P.S. I know you're new to these cars Steve, and since we're talking about carbs, I just want to let you know.......What looks like a basic "kickdown" linkage is actually the throttle pressure adjustment for the trans. Make sure you find and understand the proper adjustment for it as will kill your trans over time if it's out of wack.

Thanks guys for all your help. I've got the engin all raped up so I can paint the engine bay. While I was priming the bottom end i seen those casting numbers 318 %!@#. It will have to do for now.
Got another question for you guys. Are the bumpers made for the 72 dart the same as the 73 Dart???? I can't use my bumpers, and the catalog stop at 72.

I'm new to the mopar world, so someone more experienced than me correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the bumpers on a 73 are different than that of a 72. I believe 1973 was the year that Chrysler implemented new front bumpers to comply with federal regulations.

Are the bumpers made for the 72 dart the same as the 73 Dart???? I can't use my bumpers, and the catalog stop at 72.

rear bumpers from a 72 will fit a 73. front bumper from a 72 will not fit a 73..

2) What is the best wheel/tire size. I'm thinking 205/15 front. How big can I go in the rear. Rear end is a Dana 60. How do I measure the back space. Will a 10" tire clear on a 15x8 rim.

you are gonna have to do some measuring. do you know if its really a dana? stock width?

i seen those casting numbers 318 %!@#. It will have to do for now.

this thing has a dana and only a 318? sure it doesn't have an X block or anything? they had 318 casting numbers on them.

you really need to post some pictures of this car so we can help a little more..

-
Back