How can I trace my '66 Barracuda's history?

-

hotrod19611

Reaction score
Hey Folks! Was wondering how to find out my Barracuda's history from the day it rolled off the Hammtramk assembly line to my ownership. Tried Carfax and they can't do it. Not enough numbers in the VIN code!! Any ideas let me know. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,Charlie

This is what I got from the Chrysler Historic society

Hello ,

I have enclosed a build card order form for you. The build car would be the only information we have available for your vehicle in our collection and within the company. The fee for this service is $45.00, payable in check or money order to Chrysler Group LLC. This will include a copy of the build card and decoding. We also require proof of ownership. A copy of the title or registration is acceptable. The documentation must be in your name and show the proper VIN. It may take up to 4-6 weeks to complete your request, once it is received. If the build record happens to be missing for our records, your payment will be returned.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thank you for your inquiry!

Danielle Szostak-Viers

Chrysler Historical Collection
CIMS 410-11-21
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI 48288-5000

Fax: (313) 252-2928

Attachments

• Build Record Order Form.xls.pdf
    14.8 KB · Views: 120
The Chysler Historical Society will know who first sold the car but you'll have to do the research after that. Try to contact the dealer (if they are still in business) and see if they can find out who they sold the car too. Also work backwards to the party you bought the car from. Maybe they will remember who THEY bought the car from. I'm in the same boat but my original dealer is no longer in business and I bought the car at an auction so I don't have any info at all!

Chrysler Historical came through for me on my 1966 IBM card and break down. This information provided at least that it was sold new in North Carolina. I did a DMV search on the car there and found the original owner based on TITLE search in the original dealer state. I bought the car out of California and they also, for a fee, did a title search, and gave me ownership information for the car while it was in california. As Mark states googling those owners and cold calling them can provide some details, getting old pictures, sometimes even a file that has old documentation.....

good luck....

Go to where you get your tabs. Ask for a title history report. Fill it out and wait for it in the mail. Works in every state.

I hear that historical society is very slow cashing those checks, like they never do! might be a good freebie just to get the cert card.

I contacted the original buyer listed on the citicard, took about 6 years but they finally got back to me. Did find out how it got from Utah to South Dakota, at the first car show I took it to I met a previous owner, and the rest I have pieced together from the owners I have talked to, I figure I am the fourth owner, not including dealerships.
I thought that privacy laws did away with title searchs.

1st "Non-family" member to own my Valiant. Was bought new in 1969 by a buddy's high school friend's grandmother (from Northwest Chrysler Plymouth) who inherited it when grandma died. Then I got it, nearly 40 years and 87K miles later.

-
Back