How come people dont use this?

-
Gonna use something like that except it is going to be made by the guy that built my radiator...

I was going to pirate a similar piece out of a late-model car or make my own. The flaps make a huge difference.

Kind of a order post but I thought I would point out something.

Have you noticed the amp draw required for this fan?

50amps is over twice the amount of standard electric fan or even any other daul mount options.

Work from the system = energy put into it - efficiency loss.
I bet half the amps drawn from the fan system, yields roughly half the cfm in work performed.
:)

Work from the system = energy put into it - efficiency loss.
I bet half the amps drawn from the fan system, yields roughly half the cfm in work performed.
:)

Are you trying to tell me that a fan with half the amp draw of this one will only preform at half the CFM's

Oh, yes that is what I am trying to say. You probably already knew that but here is some additional info.

The cfm vs load is assuming that both operate around the same efficiency. I assume that this kit above is typical of good quality fan efficiency.

That 50 amp rating on the kit above also should be load tested when you get the machinery, because rated and actual are usually different.

I load tested a ford taurus fan from a 3.8 V6 and it started about 45 amps and tapered down to 28-30 (power on the the max speed wire).

The reason I load tested it, is because I melted a relay first, then decided I would get some facts and order an appropriate relay.

So, this taurus fan would carry a 50 or maybe 60 amp rating I would reckon.

Mid 90s taurus and mark 8 fans are serious haulers of air and come with a nice shroud.

Are you trying to tell me that a fan with half the amp draw of this one will only preform at half the CFM's

I will post a picture later of the way I added 3 fans (7" dia) to the stock fan shroud in order to keep the beast cool. It gets up to a little over 200 when in stop and go traffic on a hot day, but works pretty good otherwise. Also added an electric water pump, which just BARELY clears all of this. I am sure that there may be a few guys that will try this, as I have looked around for a solution to adding an electric water pump and this was the only way I could get it to fit.

The best alternators are at most, 60% efficient. Typically to get 1HP for the fan requires about 2HP from the engine. The lost HP, is more heat in the engine compartment.

Good point. I am not personally in the know on alternator efficiency but I know that transition of energy from mechanical to electrical to mechanical is not going to be friggin optimal.

Unless you have acquired and mounted some flux capacitors on the back of your square back... And I am saving mine for a gigantic Tesla coil project.

The only down side I can see to the clutch fan is the low idle speed of stock motors and the resultant cooling potential while sitting in traffic in gear.

My stock dakota 4.7 idles at 500 rpms in gear, which I can tell don't stir the clutch fan much.

The best alternators are at most, 60% efficient. Typically to get 1HP for the fan requires about 2HP from the engine. The lost HP, is more heat in the engine compartment.

I will post a picture later of the way I added 3 fans (7" dia) to the stock fan shroud in order to keep the beast cool. It gets up to a little over 200 when in stop and go traffic on a hot day, but works pretty good otherwise. Also added an electric water pump, which just BARELY clears all of this. I am sure that there may be a few guys that will try this, as I have looked around for a solution to adding an electric water pump and this was the only way I could get it to fit.

Here are the pictures of the fans in the factory shroud.

file://www.flickr.com/photos/30742698@N07/7835383212/

Attachments

• DSCN9736.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 710
  • DSCN9737.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 706
  • DSCN9738.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 723
  • Dscn8111.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 690
  • Dscn8112.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 715
  • Dscn8113.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 694
  • Dscn8114.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 699
A good fan that works kIller is one out of a 90's Mercedes. They are usually picked at the wrecking yards before you can get to them but if you can get them they are only 40 bucks and move a ton of air

schreecher that is a killer looking setup.

Oh, yes that is what I am trying to say. You probably already knew that but here is some additional info.

Im currently shopping for a fan so im just trying to get to the bottom of it.

Below is a link to Summits compare page for 2 fans of the same brand. One that you posted above and the one I'm currently looking at for my car.

http://www.summitracing.com/compare.aspx

The one Im currently looking at draws only 18.7 amps to the others 50 amps with only a 250cfm drop. I assume the extra draw is from the use of the same motors but with a increase in diameter by 1" and 4 extra more blades on each fan. What I was getting at is that for more than double the amp draw your only getting another 250cfms of cooling.

Also the fan you slected is 26" wide. I don't know of any radiators fitting a A-body with a 26" core. Im in the process of switching from a Griffin down flow to a crossflow for more surface area and they both are 22" on the core width.

Mid 90s taurus and mark 8 fans are serious haulers of air and come with a nice shroud.
I agree, They are a very popular junkyard upgrade for most no matter what make or model your tring to cool.

Man that is great! Good to see the fabrication and application.

So the electric water pump does fine on the street?

Nuker,
The water pump seems to do OK on the street. I have a180 degree stat, and the water temp has climbed up to barely over 200. Of course I have a new radiator (3 core), and also had to upgrade the alternator(Mo Power), then do the bulkhead wiiring update because of the upgrade. I am using 1 high amp relay for the 3 fans, and also the relay that came with the Proform Pump kit for it. Seems to be reliable, but I have not taken it to the strip yet. I want to see if there is any improvement in getting rid of the fan/water pump besides not having the problem of losing belts all the time. It seemed like I could never get the pulleys to line up good enough to eliminate losing belts.

There is about 1/8" clearance between one of the fans and the Proform Pump, but I have a solid mount on the drivers side so it is not an issue...

Brian

Yea, no shi*. Hard to beat junk yard price.
Dunno about california where I live though. They think all their used salvage yard parts are gold.

The mark 8 fans from mid 90s, from what I read, pull 4200 cfm thru their shroud.

I am considering electric fans when I install the BB. But, gotta get big cfm and still clear fan pulley..

The factory Jag fan clutch / fan just seems questionable for a bb considering it is for a 6 cyl jag.

That's why, a fan from the junkyard is $10, beat that!

so what electric fans can fit a radiator with a core of 20 inches length and 17.5" height? I have an Afco crossflow radiator. either will need 1 large 16" fan or two 10" fans...

This:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/cooling-heating/section/fans/part-type/fans-electric

Select width and height in the left column, see if anything will work for you.

What dimensions would actually mate up to your radiator?

Friggin expensive fans on some of the larger cfm setups.

Or make do with either a factory replacement unit or a junkyard unit. For example:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-620-101/media/images/make/ford/model/taurus

I have read on several sites that the taurus fan is outstanding. Particularly the unit for the 3.8 L engine.

-
Back