How common for “J” and “U” Head on the same engine?

-

xLURKxDOGx

"An angel fat, at satan's feast"
Reaction score
Just curious if they would have been a set of j or u heads on a 340/360 or would the factory have sent out one with a j one one side and a u on the other? My guess is that it did t matter and they would have thrown whatever was there on it but who knows......

Jake

They are 915 castings regardless of J, O, U or Z, so the engine builders did not care whether the letters 'matched' side to side.

They are 915 castings regardless of J, O, U or Z, so the engine builders did not care whether the letters 'matched' side to side.
Cool, thanks for the help. I figured as much. I just picked up a set and thought I’d ask the experts.

Jake

I've got a 70 Challenger 340 (A66) car that I have owned since 1979. It has the original numbers matching 340 in it that has never been apart, and it has a J head on one side and a U head on the other. Sucker ran like a gut shot cat too....lol. It's been parked for years, but it's early on the retirement "To do" list!

I have seen them mis-matched but couldnt tell you if it was from the factory like that. But like they said, its the casting number that really matters.

Since the heads had same 915 part number what was the purpose of the letters?

-
Back