How did I do

-

340 RR

Reaction score
Looking for some confirmation bias on the purchase haha, just kidding, kinda. 72 Roadrunner originally a 340 auto now a roller with an 8 3/4 rear end. ch1ll was nice enough to give me the location of it and I had to pick it up. Interior is all apart but it's there and it's rough. Rally dash and white buckets...again...rough. Clean Wisconsin title. Paid $850. Needs a ton of work but it'll go nice next to the 73 RR 340 when it's all said and done. It's a good thing I have all you guys to help me get through these projects because as a 23 year old, I still have a lot to learn.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

Other than the 'custom graphics' it looks pretty good, score for the price!
I looked at a big block one years ago, far worse than that one, also a roller, and the seller wanted a whole lot more for it.

If there is a solid car to work with under that crust, then I think you did alright.

Seems fair to me
And seeing it was just a 340, you can do what you want with it, that's kinda like a slant 6 duster

Years ago I had a black 73 340 4 speed RR and a 74 Satellite Sebring Plus that was a 318 car. I swapped the 318 because of low oil pressure for a low compression 74 360. If I wanted to just cruise, I'd take the Satellite. If I wanted to do some back street racing, I'd take the RR. I really enjoyed both cars, but for different reasons. LOL

I like that body style a lot. Make SURE you CLOSELY inspect inside the cowl and open the doors and look in the area the back of the front fenders cover up. Also get under the dash and closely inspect the under side of the cowl. Those cars are HELL about rusting the cowls slap out.

Last edited:
Looks like you did alright, IMO!

But one thing: Once you get the car running, if you truly enjoy it, never sell it, as most of the people here have cars from Back In The Day they wish they had kept.

Enjoy this time in your Life, and don't waste a minute of it!

PB, no truer words were ever spoken. I can think of at least 15 to 20 cars that I cut loose that I wish I had back. Not to mention, one or two of them might be worth high 5 to low 6 figures there days.

If there's one thing to know about me, it's that I will never sell any of my cars. I get way too attached. You could take whatever the heck you want from inside the house, just leave the cars alone. I have a 73 roadrunner with a 340, a 2008 bmw 335xi, a 2007 Alpina B7 (1 of 800), and now add on the 72 RR. All of these will still be with me when I go. I just hope the generation after me can enjoy and preserve them the same way. That'll be out of my hands. Glad to see all the positive comments and I'll dig through it when I get the chance but it'll be some time before I really get going on it. Thanks everyone!

340RR, after my wife and I moved into our current house she found a shoe box full of pictures and asked me who the cars belonged to. I told her that I had owned all of them, some of them two or three times. At 72 years old, I've owned over 600 cars. Some I sold as runners, some as rollers, some as race cars and some were scrapped because the were too far gone in my opinion at the time. As I stated earlier, some of them I wish I still had, but oh well it's done and there isn't much I can do about it. Currently the wife and I own 5 cars and 2 trailers (1 5' x 9' swap meet trailer and a 20' lowboy trailer for the race car. I have to keep telling myself, "I DO NOT need another project".

Last edited:
I forgot to mention. Put a proper sound insulation package in that car.
Some (25%?) per panel self-stick butyl rubber vibration stopper on each panel, then full panel coverage of self-stick foam over that, then full panel coverage of self-stick heavy vinyl over that.
You will understand why after you do it and drive the car.

Looking for some confirmation bias on the purchase haha, just kidding, kinda. 72 Roadrunner originally a 340 auto now a roller with an 8 3/4 rear end. ch1ll was nice enough to give me the location of it and I had to pick it up. Interior is all apart but it's there and it's rough. Rally dash and white buckets...again...rough. Clean Wisconsin title. Paid $850. Needs a ton of work but it'll go nice next to the 73 RR 340 when it's all said and done. It's a good thing I have all you guys to help me get through these projects because as a 23 year old, I still have a lot to learn.

View attachment 1716258477

View attachment 1716258478

View attachment 1716258479

View attachment 1716258480

View attachment 1716258481

View attachment 1716258482

View attachment 1716258483

View attachment 1716258484

View attachment 1716258485

View attachment 1716258486

Great starting point at a great price.

Hard part is going to be finding all the trim including grill assembly and rear tail light assemblies if you don't have them.

Also, the rallye gauge panel with the tach is rare.

This stuff is extremely pricy .

I call them good projects if they have frame rails!!!! Rusted away frame rails scares some of us Southern boys!
I fixed only one in the last 76 years.

Old Iron, thanks for the tip on the sound insulation. Never would've known to do that. Super-Cuda, I do not believe I have the grill assembly and rear tail light assemblies. Though, there was a ton of stuff in the car and I barely looked through any of it. Had to go to work right after and didn't want to get filthy haha. An employee at the yard told me that there was someone trying to get into the trunk because he thinks there's stuff in there. The trunk is locked and there is no key to open it but maybe that guy could see stuff through a hole that went into the trunk. Not sure...but I'm definitely curious. Barbee, I looked underneath the vehicle to see how much rust I could see. It was def not a California car but I couldn't get the greatest look. There was maybe a 1ft x 1ft square hole behind the driver's side seat. Will have to get that fixed with sheet metal or new floors entirely but I've never done anything like that so it'll be a learning experience. Will keep you guys updated as I find out more. Thanks everyone!

For heat and soundproofing check out Kilmat on Amazon. I put it everywhere - inside doors, on the floor and firewall, under/behind seats, on the roof under the headliner, etc. It is affordable and does a great job.

I'll check out Kilmat on Amazon. Thanks for the advice everyone. I was just reading a recent forum post here asking the likelihood to recover a missing fender tag and it peaked my interest. Toolmanmike stated that there have been lots of engines, transmissions, fender tags, build sheets getting reunited with the original cars by using the lost and found forum. I'm thinking now what if the original engine and trans for this 71 RR can be tracked down. The guy at the yard that I dealt with told me that a younger guy came and dropped the car off because his father or grandfather had passed. I'm gonna contact the yard to see if they got the info of the guy that dropped it off and see if I can talk to him and find out what happened with the engine/trans. I'd also like to post any info needed (that I have) in the lost and found forum after figuring out about it. What info is usually needed to be presented? I have the vin and title and idk about anything else. Haven't looked for a fender tag or any other tags that I'm not familiar with. Thanks guys

I'll check out Kilmat on Amazon. Thanks for the advice everyone. I was just reading a recent forum post here asking the likelihood to recover a missing fender tag and it peaked my interest. Toolmanmike stated that there have been lots of engines, transmissions, fender tags, build sheets getting reunited with the original cars by using the lost and found forum. I'm thinking now what if the original engine and trans for this 71 RR can be tracked down. The guy at the yard that I dealt with told me that a younger guy came and dropped the car off because his father or grandfather had passed. I'm gonna contact the yard to see if they got the info of the guy that dropped it off and see if I can talk to him and find out what happened with the engine/trans. I'd also like to post any info needed (that I have) in the lost and found forum after figuring out about it. What info is usually needed to be presented? I have the vin and title and idk about anything else. Haven't looked for a fender tag or any other tags that I'm not familiar with. Thanks guys
Pull the back seat if its still there and look for a broadcast sheet. It may also be attached to the back of the glove box liner or under the front seats if they are sill in the car.

This is the "Holy Grail" of info on your car and the fender tags can be reproduced if you have it.

Super-Cuda,, I'll take a look and see if I can find the broadcast sheet. Thanks for the advice!

I'm 64 and have no desire to put sound deadening in any of my cars and I have owned a quiet car (2004 BMW 330ci convertible with sport suspension). These cars are not supposed to be quiet, in my opinion. Yes, you did well on that car. The closest we came to something like that was a '71 six barrel GTX running/driving for $600 (but I was younger than you are now). It was missing the six barrel stuff so I passed...

I'm 64 and have no desire to put sound deadening in any of my cars and I have owned a quiet car (2004 BMW 330ci convertible with sport suspension). These cars are not supposed to be quiet, in my opinion. Yes, you did well on that car. The closest we came to something like that was a '71 six barrel GTX running/driving for $600 (but I was younger than you are now). It was missing the six barrel stuff so I passed...

Yes, but have you ever driven a 440 sixpack automatic B body with a sound deadening package? The car should be quiet, the engine should not.
I didn't pass on a clean used 70 Super Bee 440 sixpack automatic in 1979 for $1000. Ten years later it got the premium sound treatment. That sound treatment made the car irresistible as a daily driver.
And yes, I did like my 2004 BMW 330ci convertible and 96 Z3.

-
Back