How did you become addicted to MoPar?

-
It started when my dad started his buisness doin builders (fixing wreaked cars then selling them) it was around when the horisons n omnis came out n then it was 90% mopars he fixed i got hooked my 1st one was a 71 dart then 76 volare rr that we got from Omaha with 45k miles on it. i have my 2nd volare rr n my 71 demon that got burned in the shop fire. also i have 83 short box truck,91 iroc daytona,92 daytona,754x4 power wagon. Its the way mopars look that i love. ITS ALL MOPAR.

Honestly, I thought they were the coolest looking car ever made......and still do!!!! :toothy10:

My story is simple, I come from a long line of MoPar owners (dad's side). The furthest back I can remember is stories about my grandpa's '48 Plymouth coupe. My dad has had several MoPar trucks and cars; pretty much every body style Dodge Ram, mid-seventies Aspen and Duster for cars. My first few vehicles were all MoPar. Now I have 73 Plymouth Scamp, I had gotten away from MoPar's for a while when I got into Mazda RX7's. Now I have both, lol!

Back in the 60's, my dad always bought plymouth or chrysler. Then, reading,riding with older friends, in all different makes, watching mopars at drag strips; I realized Mopars kicked butt. Got my d/l, could only buy fords, chevies, etc.
Then, in 1970, when a friend took the 406 that I had made, in my 1960 Galaxy, to 7200 rpm, when he hit some sand, and broke the rings on #7 piston; I had just started college, my dad co-signed for a 1970 Duster, 318, 3 speed. ( the 340 4 speed was $300 cheaper, but no kid could get insurance).
I had fun; Put some traction bars on it, heavier valve springs- at the 1/8 strip, beat friends with 396/350 chevelle, 383 cuda.
Then, in the process of buying, and fixing a 1955 Belair with a 425hp 396 4 speed; got divorced, and gave the Duster to the ex wife. Several years later, re-married the ex; got the Duster back, and put a 340 in it. Still a pos 3 speed, but it would haul butt.
Got divorced again, wife knew my attachment to the car, she let me keep it.
Fast forward. In 1987, won a load at the dog track, so started back on the Duster; Narrowed rear subframe, Strange narrowed rear end, 4.88 spool, Morrison 4 link, SS springs,tubs,
sub connectors- Hey, progress in my shop.
Divorce (where did that track money go?)
So, the car sat on jackstands until this June. I decided; Car ain't worth no money, or fun, unless I finish it. So I install new front floor panels, still trying to finish the cage (that halo is whuppin' my ***), the details are killing me (seat brackets, linelock, brake lines, converting front to disc.
Now, paint the interior, pull the 340, clean and paint underhhod; get the 408, buy a 727 (gave one away). Then time to sand, and paint.
Sigh
But, it will be worth it; not many people have an old muscle car, that can smoke a ricer, ford, gm.
There ain't nothing like a good running Mopar, to make your day.

I wouldn't say I'm Addicted to Mopars, I like ALL CARS. I played in the cars and @6 got the 56 chevy out of gear and rolling towards the ditch across the street. Played with the push button in the 64 dodge, dad had to fix it where I pushed 2 buttons at the same time. Drove my brothers 62 corvair at 10, I loved CARS and still do.

I have had Plymouths, Dodge, Chryslers along with Chevy, Fords, Olds, Buick and probably some others.

I got my 1st car at 15. Dad worked for Chrysler and said "You will drive a Chrysler product". I was OK with that, my 1st car was a 67 Barracuda

What I wanted for my 1st car was a 65 Corvair Convertible, but the guy wanted $125 and dad said I could only give him $100, he wouldn't come down, dad wouldn't let me give more and at 14, what is a guy to do?

I wanted my brothers 69 GTS 383, at, 3.91 gear, and he said "I'll sell it to you when you get your license" (he paid $900 for it and was going to sell it to me for the same), but again dad said "You'll get KILLED in that thing" so at 14 what is a guy to do?

Then dad took me to a car lot to look at a 67 barracuda slant 6 auto with air, very nice car. Dad ask "If I buy this will you keep it clean? and if so I'll sell it to you when you get your license for $750" (he paid 1400 and told me not to tell mom) But my older sister wanted it so she got it instead of me. Again at 14 what is a guy to do?

15 and a few months from turning 16 dad see's a 67 Barracuda on the board at work for sale for $400. It had 4 bald tires and had been run thru a fence, but it was a V8. I bought it and my brother and I took it to my Uncles body shop for a paint job. Before we got the body work done I got a job and they finsihed it. I wanted it midnight blue instead of ice blue. I didn't know what color it was until I seen it.

Traded the cuda for a 69 Roadrunner about a year later.

I graduated from high school and got a job at Chrysler Electrical plant with dad. I was buying a different car about every month.

Bought my 1st NEW CAR in May of 77. I ordered a 1977 Aspen Custom with T Tops

I now work for Ford, I can afford to drive whatever I want, I prefer to drive my Chrsyler products

67 Dart GT Convertible
67 Dart GT Hardtop (Barn find)
81 Imperial with 14,500 miles
81 Imperial (body only)
82 Imperial complete car with 31,000 miles (non running)
95 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins diesel
99 Plymouth Prowler

I think Chrysler has the BEST car line of all the manufactures. I like the NITRO, Caliber, Charger, Challenger, 300, new 1500 truck. Let's hope that they are around for a long time.

I really want a new white Challenger RT

I would guess I've had over 100 cars and trucks over the past 35 years

some of them

67 Barracuda coupe
69 Roadrunner
70 Duster
70 Challenger B5 blue 340 at, 4.10's
72 Barracuda
70 Grand Coupe Barracuda
69 Charger
67 Barracuda Formula S 4 speed
77 Aspen
72 Challenger 340 manual trans
71 383 at CURIOUS YELLOW `Cuda Convertible
73 Challenger
73 Roadrunner 400 4 speed

There isn't a one on the list that I would like to have now, especially the `71 `Cuda

But along with all the Mopars, I've had
69 SS 396 375 hp 4 speed Chevelle
71 Mach 1
74 Camaro
83 Elcamino

Walked into the Chrysler/Plymouth dealer back in 1971. Salesman
pulls me to the side, pulls up his sleeve and says do you wanna buy a watch?

I sais no! He said how about a 340 Duster.

I said yes!.........just kidding about the watch.

A year later I traded the 71 340 Duster in on a 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe.

Got hit in the side a month later that totaled the car.

The same salesman called me a few days later...says he has a
car he wants to show me. I had to go see what he had. It was
a 1971 340 'Cuda hardtop. Blue with black vinyl top and black
interior. Yep....I bought it

Went thru 6 Corvettes after the Mopars. (2) 61's (3) 64's and a 69

Now I'm back into Mopars where I belong!

There is no cure for this addiction :-D

My dad raced his 68 gtx at Alton Dragway in the very early 70's . He came home and gave me his trophy. That kept me hooked. The sound of it running was another reason.8)

I was born into a mopar crazed family since the early 80's my dad has had 2 69 dodge chargers a 70 superbee a 66 coronet which he still owns all of them and they are all big blocks 55 st regis and a 53 imperial are stock.. my first car was a 1971 dart 318 it was a rust bucket but to this day i havnt had more fun in a car ive had a big block 69 charger of my own that wasnt half as much fun to drive as my dart and now im workin on a 1973 plymouth scamp that is goin to be gasser style straight axle and all with either a 392 hemi or a 440 w/ tunnel ram IM SOOOOOOO ADDICTED and love every minute of it :}

These are all, just gre:cheers:at reading, thanks guys and keep postin,
I need more!

I was taken to the hospital to be born in a 75 green power wagon in the middle of a horrible snow storm :) and when i was a kid my dad still had the truck, a 73 swinger, and a 76? new yorker ....i guess its in my blood :)

My first car fresh out of high school was a 1968 dodge charger with a 318 got it as a graduation gift from my parents is cost them 950.00 and I had to fix it before I could even drive wish I still had that car. It got totaled by a guy driving with his head up is ***. he rearended me.

i was 14 helping my uncle shingle my great grandmas roof after a hail storm and by our hotel there was a 68 roadrunner 440 for sale. they wanted $4000 for it and it was restored up to primer but the guy needed money to fix his house. i drempt all week that i would get paid that much for the work i did lol. i got $120 lol. so i went home and saved up and bought a 65 dodge truck. been addicted ever since lol

I like many others was born in to it. My grandfather started working in a Chrysler dealer when he was 18 sweeping floors and has worked there ever since and is now owner/operator, he's going on 52 years this year. My father was not a mopar man growing up, his pride and joy was a 67 impala SS (kinda sad) but oh well. That all changed when he decided he was going to get hitched to mom. Let's just say in this famliy you drive a mopar or sit at another table at the famliy events lol, and that's how I was brought up. I've always had a truck:

68 d-100, 74 power wagon, 88 ramcharger, 87 d-150, 00 dakota, 87 d-100

but soon hope that I can find a older mopar to start working on. Still trying to decide on what I would like to build at this time. For now I'm content with playing with the D100

born into mopar

Gee, the alley where that RR is parked looks familiar, and who are those people by the red dart. We should take my dart over to show your Dad when the weather gets warmer and the crap is off the road.

I got into MOPAR because GeneralJMWLee and I had a friend in common who had a 72 Dart in high School.

driving to church or the bakery with grandma in her 1968 dart 270 dark forest metallic green with a 225/auto..Speedometer would flop all over and we thought we were doing 110mph on the way to church...

My sister is to blame. She is 13 yrs older than me and did alot of things with me. She took me to see the movie Bullitt in 1968. That 68 Charger was all it took. I was forever from that moment on ....a MOPAR freak. My first car in 1975 was a 68 Roadrunner 383 4 speed. The love of my life though was my 71 Duster 340 sassy grass green. I got out of the fast cars and driving fast after getting married and having kids. But most of the time still owned a MOPAR of some sort. A few years back my son asked me to help him build a motor for his Dodge 4X4. Well thats all it took. The Ma MOPAR bug bit me. The bite was so severe I bought a 70 Duster, 440 engine and a small fortune in parts. I'm still suffering the effects...working on the car, buying more parts, reading more about MOPARS, watching more car shows, watching and going to drag races. Please pray for me...that I NEVER recover.

i was convinced when i turned 16 that i wanted a chevelle to restore, however after one ride in my buddies 70 440 4spd challenger i was hooked,just so happens for my 16th birthday i got a 66 coronet and a few years later a79 powerwagon, and afewyears after that my 72 dart

Well, I was 13. My Dad said I could get a car so he and I could work on it until I was 16. I had about $400.00. I almost bought a ' 69 Buick GTS "skylark" Gold ext. Black int. I think it was like the special 350 or something. 4 speed. Real nice car for $400.00. Actually it was a real nice car for $1,000 back in the early 80's. It needed a water pump. Anyway, we were about to leave to go get it and I noticed in the buy and sell that there was a ' 65 barracuda about 100 miles north of me. We went to look at it. I alway's liked the way the *** end looked with the wrap around window. Anyway we got it. for $250.00. It was an original 273 auto commando car. The trans was out of it and totally rebuilt. The motor was all there but hadn't ran in years. Everything else was there. It needed both fenders and a front valence. It had black diamond tuck interior. And it needed a drivers seat. The one that came with it was that light blue. And thrashed. Anyway, I got a parts car for another $100.00 that had everything I needed. It was also a commando car with all of the goodies. Even had the exhaust. Anyway, I was hooked. I ended up purchasing every barracuda in town. I owned 12 of them before I was even legal to drive. I started with the early ones and then got a '66 formula S for $150.00. Then a few ' 67's then ' 68's and 1 ' 69. My parents yard looked like a barracuda wreaking yard. I had more parts then you could ever dream of. A ton of commando stuff. Anyway, then I started buying Dodge's. My first one was a '66 GT commando 273 4 speed car with an 8 3/4 355 sure grip. I got that for $400.00. Drove it away doing a huge smokey burn out. Then I got a ' 74 Duster 318 4 speed. For $100.00. They said the transmission was shot. All I had to do is put fluid in it. I never paid more than $500.00 for any of them. Boy I really miss those days. Anyway, I was a touring musician by the age of 15. Needless to say I got mixed up in some really bad drugs. Ended up using all of my car's to pay for my habit for about 10 years. What an idiot I was. But, that was many years ago. I haven't done any drugs for about 8 years. I recently decided to get another ' 65 barracuda. And I got one about 2 months ago. I'm totally hooked again. And really enjoying it. I'm really glad I found this site. This is the best site ever. Thanks for reading my pathetic story.

I was in my parents car, probably about 11 or 12 years old. Saw a pink cuda on the car lot and was hooked from that point. It probably helped that my uncle owned a 69 runner that I got to ride in from time to time, remember the sound of the pipes and the feeling of power as he mashed the skinny peddal.
Next to the jeeps , mopar is all I've ever owned! technically the jeep is mopar as well so I guess I'm commited! or should be?
Joe

i grew up being around them

Attachments

• img007.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 112
  • img011.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 120
I has born in it.My 1st ride was in a 73 duster which I was prolly between 3 and 5 days old.Them 3 months later my dad had a 66 charger follow him home and the charger never left.So when i was 11 i had my little swinger follow home again and yes my 15 will be driving a 01 dodge ran 4x4 to school

My late dad was the general manager at a Chrysler/Plymouth dealership in NJ from the early 60's to the early 80's. I was playing in those cars from when I was a little kid, and driving them when I was old enough. Had the pleasure of seeing every muscle car Plymouth ever made. RIP Dad!

my brother was the one who got me into mopar we have always liked any old car but there was one that sold me one day my brother left for work in a 75-76 mustang II mach one he was a bag boy at a grocery store then came home in a 70 dart swinger 340 4spd it was the early 80's the duke boys were real big on t v , i thought that the general was the baddest thing ever laying on the living room floor watching the duke boys then hearing something really loud pulling up in our parents driveway i had to look there it was 70 dart swinger 340 FE5 white bumble bee stripe black interior with crager S/S's and bias ply tires 50 series in the back and the twin scoops on the hood man that car screamed i'll kick the general's *** then my brother informed that dodge made both of them i was hooked acouple of years past finnaly became of age to drive 1st car 78 camaro heck it was 150 bucks and at 16 your broke had less than a month then someone crashed into me totaled it was able to rebound on a 72 monte carlo with no motor and trans but the camaro helped on that then my insurance settlement came through and i found one in a barn 68 dart GTS 383 4spd ice blue met with blue interior couldnt really tell the color of the car with all the bird crap on it my senior yr of high school was the coolest yr ever having that car would have still had it but some old terd decided his little import truck would look good on the passenger side he really did a number on it almost on me too fractured my t-12 vertabrea was laid up for 6 months doc said if he was going any faster i would have been paralized it was a total loss almost got me out of old cars but my brother kept finding them next was a 72 duster twister awesome car /6 auto you could drive it anywhere with hardly any gas at all then i got my 70 dart swinger 340 still pluggin away at it my work truck is just about ready for the road then i can start back on my dart it truley is a addiction

-
Back