How do I clean this gunk!

-
Here is what I did:

I got a gallon of the purple power and then: I got a gallon of water, 1/2 pound of lye and a quart of purple power. First water, second lye, third purple power into a plastic pail. The order is important to avoid chemical reaction potentials. You always add to water, not water to another chemical. Mixing chemicals can cause wild dangerous reactions and lye is very dangerous (blind you or destroy your skin) in pure form so use eye, hand and body protection.

Also a plastic brush for cleaning tires is great to massage the degreaser into the goop and grime to help emulsify and melt it away.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Tire_Wheel_Brush_Heavy_Cleaning_with_Gentle_Feath_p/acc_g08.htm

When I mixed mine, there was no reaction so then I put it into a pump sprayer and (while wearing all protection) sprayed it on the engine and let it soak over night. In the morning, I sprayed it another coat and shortly after I sprayed it with a garden hose nozzle. Almost all the paint and goop was washed off with a garden hose. Then I repeated twice more. My engine and bellhousing are bare as the day it was cast, maybe better. Then I sprayed ospho on it and washed it off and painted.

A side note, having mixed chemicals in a pump sprayer could cause a pressure explosion which blasts the contents all over you. Like I said, my mixture has never built up pressure (reacted) but when I use the sprayer with that mix, I release the residual or left over pressure after every use to eliminate the possibility of build up and a hazardous situation.

On the other hand, easy off oven cleaner is spray lye in a can and works quite well too. My mix is just a big spray bottle of easy off with a little regular degreaser put in there.

Cool thanks for all the answers I'm gonna try the purple stuff but I am curious to try the oven cleaner

Easy off. Get the nasty stiff wire brushes out.. Low buck. A *****. You can rent a local pressure washer.(hot water110+,the key)....

-
Back