How do I install this lamp?

-

1974DartSport

Reaction score
My Cigarette lighter/ ash tray lamp has been hanging from the dash so long during the restoration I forgot how to reinstall it. All I know is it has a hole in the bracket for a screw and must be grounded to turn on. How does it install? See the three pics below.

Cigarettelighterlamp1of3.jpg

Cigarettelighterlamp2of3.jpg

Cigarettelighterlamp3of3.jpg

I do believe that is the light for the temperature control and fan motor,the ash tray light has a metal case that slides over the bulb and a clip built onto it,I could be wrong,and the lil' clip shown on the wiring is just a wire retaining clip that gets a screw thru it to keep the wire from dangling,the bulb and socket are already grounded and come on with the headlights

the ash tray light has a metal case that slides over the bulb and a clip built onto it

Unrelated, but that really just answered what I was wondering. I found that thing exactly as described once I removed the instrument cluster, and couldn't figure out what it was. Now I know it's something I won't really need. :)

Diffrent on the early a's I think harrison don't chuck it yet you might need a light in there to get to spare parts Lol,all my cars have some sort of spare parts or money in the ashtrays Lol

If you look at the socket in pictures 1 and 2, it appears the socket might snap into an opening. The L-shaped bracket confuses me. Where on the heater/blower assembly does this go.You are correct that this bulb comes on when the headlights are pulled on. It does not have to be grounded to turn on.

heat control illumination is the correct answer. the bracket mounts to the dash to hold the wire. it is plastic so it will "pop" into the control housing. orange is hot from the instrument light circuit. black is ground.

Thanks for everyone's answers. I really did not want to take my ash tray housing, radio, and the temperature control unit out just to install this bulb. So I removed my glove box, reached in the opening to disconnect my right defroster duct and unscrewed the nut that holds the temperature control unit to the backside of the dash. I popped the bulb into the opening that is for the light on the far right-handed side of the temperature control and fan motor unit. The L-shaped bracket slid over the post next to the bulb opening and once the nut was reinstalled, the bracket was held tight.

After everything was put back together, I had a nice blue light on my temperature/fan control unit.

-
Back