How do I open this gear box?

-

jrc4y4

Reaction score
Wanting to rebuild my steering gear box and can't get these ends off. I tried the hammer and punch and it didn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

IMG_9447.JPG

IMG_9448.JPG

I think it has a lock pin in the side but it's been a long time sense I was in one (like 1979)
I have done a ton of pitman seals, just did them in the car. Done a bunch of manual boxes and getting ready to do another one just waiting on parts.

I guess you should get a service manual for that year you can find them online free.
And get a bigger hammer, they should turn.

I couldn't download it for some reason and can't find my paper copy for some reason. I did try the bigger hammer method. Only to find out the worm gear was broken. So now I go shopping.thanks guys.

For sure. And the local part stores are saying they can’t get them. Shows online but when you order unavailable

Most are pretty much the same, pick up a good used one.

That is pretty much a useless article.
More a ad for Steer & Gear

I agree, to some it may be useless. Then again, to others, some pictures can explain a lot.

Don't get one from the parts store. They are junk. I bought the last one in oreillys system. It leaked worse then the 45+ year old original box. I returned it and bought one from rock auto. I think it was A1 cardone brand or something. It had a bunch of slop in it that couldn't be adjusted out. I used it for about two years and sent it to firm feel and had it built to stage 3 spec. Just save time and money and let firm feel or steer and gear build one.

It's a 72 Scamp. I didn't want to spend $400 on a box if I could help it. I'd be fine buying a used one and rebuilding it cuz I already have the rebuild kit. $400 seems like a lot but I guess I need one lol

I tried to rebuild a (working) box on my friends '85 GMC back in high school. We pulled it apart and little ball bearings went everywhere. We tried to fix it all weekend and couldn't ever get it to work correctly. We came clean and fessed up to his parents and they had to buy a new box so he could go to work and school. So i learned to not try and fix something that isn't broke and that I wasn't born to build steering boxes.

I'm not sure if they are the same or not. But it shows a different part number on the catalogs.

I think the only difference is the spline on the pitman shaft, big and small and the way the hose is pointing on the valve.

-
Back