How do I paint these?

-

DRENO

Reaction score
Louvers off my fireplace. Someone wants them flat black to match the rest of the fireplace.Near as I can tell they are plated steel with a clear coat of some sort. I sanded them down enough to remove the clear coat and some of the brass finish. Shot them with the rust oleum, but the paint never took at all,could almost rub it off with my finger. Tell me there is a way with rattle cans,That's all I'm capable of. One pic won't load. It was high heat rust oleum .

View attachment image.jpg

flat black hi heat spray paint , they make it for bbq's most hardware stores carry it.

I have used a similar paint...Dulux Pot Belly Black....product # 881-82931...comes in a rattle can, takes 72 hrs to dry, and works great....it's a charcoal colour.....it isn't dead flat either, it does have a little sheen to it.

I did some parts on mine with regular semi flat black - "hot rod black" from a spray can, I think it was lacquer based, and it worked great. I scuffed with scotch brite first, then wiped off well with lacquer thinner prior to painting.

"paint Prep" from Forrest Paint Co followed with FP1990 satin black. It is what 9 out of 10 wood stoves are painted with from the factory.

I used bbq paint on mine, but I painted all the trim panels so they'd match. Looks good, wife's happy and has lasted 4 years so far.

Lol I have have the same fireplace and my wife wants me to match the gold/bronze as well. Local fireplace store sold me a can of special fireplace paint.

I'll find it and give you the details.

Riddler

-
Back