How do I put rear output shaft bearing on ????????

-

duster360

Reaction score
I have the Non OD 4 speed apart. I know how to remove the output shaft bearing but the book doesn't specify how to put the bearing back on. It just says to put the shaft in a vice and slide the bearing on the shaft and put the tailshaft on and slide the snap ring into place. Doesn't say if I need to press the bearing on or if I bump the tail housing down after I slide it over the bearing.

I used to use a large ended punch and tap the center race till it seated.

Put the shaft in the freezer, warm up the bearing with a heat gun, put a little gear oil on the mating surfaces and slide it on. If needed use a hydraulic press to push on the inner race, or tap only on the inner race with a punch to seat it.

Yup, did mine last night. Froze the shaft, heated the bearing on the woodstove and use a piece of PVC pipe that was the same diameter as the inner race of the bearing to drive in into place. Then fought with the snapring for about 30 minutes before taking a sanity break :)

Got mine done today. Didn't have to freeze the shaft but I did heat the bearing and it wasn't too bad going back on. Now I can start putting the tranny back together.

-
Back