How Do I Remove This.....

-

R4Sedan

Larry
Reaction score
Is this Horn pad suppose to just pull off or is their set screws that I don't see...Anybody know? And the pin on the steering shaft I have pictured will
it come off with a punch or is it pressed in.. Thanks.

Attachments

• Steering Column 004.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 207
  • Steering Column 003.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Steering Column 001.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 216
You can take the entire column apart without ever messing with that pin. I wouldnt suggest removing its a pressed in pin. Secondly my 72 column horn slightly different i had to pry slightly to get it out. On the 74 I had had bolts coming from the back of the steering wheel. I dont see bolts on yours but that dont mean they arent there.

Thanks, ScampTramp, I thought that pin was probably pressed in, but I didn't wanna start beating on it and ruin my shaft. I don't see bolts on the back either. I thought maybe it's rusted on.

here maybe, and I am in no way a tec
and don't know how it is removed

Attachments

• Steering%20Column%20003.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 197
Okay, I figured it out sometimes when I walk away for awhile!

Attachments

• Horn Pad 001.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 188
  • Horn Pad 002.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 185
Those horn sections usually came off by pushing them down and twist to the left.
Then they release from the wheel.
Taking that bolt out of the center is not it.

By the time you read this it'll be too late though. :)

The pin at end of shaft is just a press fit. To remove it, place a socket over one side to receive pin when pressed out with a heavy vice.

Use a five gallon joint compound pail or like to balance steering wheel and shaft while pin is pressed from column in vice. Pin will resist initial movement, once it moves she goes the rest of the way easily. When end of pin is pressed flush with shaft, use a drift punch close in size of pin & hammer to tap it out the rest of the way from shaft.

To replace pin, gently start it into its hole, and press into shaft with vice & socket until centered.

Don’t beat on it with a hammer, it will mushroom and never be removed easily.

Those horn sections usually came off by pushing them down and twist to the left.
Then they release from the wheel.

I almost posted that your right many sure did for sure :D

Glad you got this behind you R4Sedan:happy1: I learned something today :cheers:

-
Back