How do I ship this???

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Ok guys....I sold a member my Bench seat from my duster.

I would say off hand that its probably around 100 lbs? split high back bench seat with center arm rest and tracks.

my question is.....how do I ship this thing?

I have never shipped anything of this size or awkward shape?

and what kind of price am I looking at to ship from michigan to maryland?

would I have to disassemble the seat and box each seat back,seat bottom,arm rest and track and ship them all off in there own individual box's?

or is there a way to box the hole thing up or plastic wrap it up or something of that sort and ship it as a hole......or???

any info from someone who has experience in this area would be greatly appreciated ,thanks

Probably going to need a skid. I would disassemble and stack them on a skid, wrap them in plastic foam, then saran wrap, cardboard and more saran wrap and then strap to a skid. Insurance too!

I've recieved and shipped several buckets but never a bench. For the buckets.. I remove the tracks and tie strap them to the seat bottom springs. Then I use cardborad to create the 'L' shaped box covering all. Then I use the cling wrap stuff to cover.
Buckets ship at around 80.00 each. The weight of a complete bench will be factor into the cost. Probably best to ship bottom and tracks in one and the 2 backs in another.
That's what I would do anyway. I alrady paid 30 bucks for a large roll of the cling wrap though. good luck

Check Greyhound size requiremments. I used them for big items, and just get some large cardboard and make your own box. Use lots of tape.

i just shipped out a front bench to mi from va. it was way easier and cheaper than i thought. take the tracks off. remove the upper portions from the lower. set the uppers on top of the lower section and use sting to lightly squeeze it together tight. then go to a food store dumpster and pull out some boxes.lol just cut the box open, and you will need about two rolls of the brown boxing tape and have a blast. when i went on ups for a price, it said over 100.00 to ship, but i left with the bill being under 70.00. you can put the tracks under the lower seat section in near the springs

Thanks 340plot .

I was thinking right around $100.00 to ship it off and I was hoping to here from someone who has shipped it that way....I think I may end up doing something similar.

Thanks again

Another plug for the bus depot from me. I've used them to ship several large items, including seats, and they have been the least expensive and least picky about the packaging.

I've never shipped greyhound, what 340plot said is the way I'd ship it.. Just how big of a package can greyhound ship?? Seat would be huge assembled...

I had a '67 valiant steel hood shipped to me via Greyhound a few years back. I can't recall the exact price but I do know it was well under $100. If Greyhound is available to you and the buyer I would check pricing on that route, may be the cheapest.
I wasn't at the station when they off loaded the beast from the bus, but the ticket booth attendent was sure happy to see me when I picked it up from there office!

My closest greyhound terminal is 70-miles away, I guess that's why I never used them to ship anything...

I think I'd do it like 340plot but you might want to get a quote from a trucking company. They'll probably require it to be crated or at least strapped to a pallet but if they're hungry enough, they may give you a good deal. Either way, you'll want to make the package as small as possible to get the best price. When items get to that size, "dimentional weight" takes over which is usually more than the actual weight so you end up paying for empty space.

-
Back